5.5 Gallon refugium plans

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Biocube, Jan 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

It holds back water!! I use purple up as a contrast.

Attached Files:

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks!! But sadly the last chamber "pump" leaks. Gotta open the apartment back up, this glue smells awful.

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

hope this works out for you, i have a fear that it may flood - you will have to fill it up to nearly the top just to get the water over the divider, once the pump is running it will drain the fuge considerably and the water may not flow over your dividers unless you add more water after the pump is running, which is something you want to consider because if you do this and you ever lose power or anything where you have to shut off your pump, water will overflow the fuge tank

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I'm not sure what you mean? I will have a check valve right after the return pump.

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

i dont know :p guess thats just a problem i had of my own

before you add water in the fuge, install the overflow. then like.. put your arms in your tank like your doing maintenence, this will cause water to raise up and down into your overflow and into your fuge. you want to consider this amount of water always because just in case something bad happens while you're working on your DT. also when i filled my fuge and turned on the pump, i lost about 2-3" of water from the fuge, that is being put into the DT so when the pump is off, the fuge depth is like nearly full, when the pump is on the fuge depth is like 5-7" depending on evaporation

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Well when I plan to do any mataince in my DT I have a 1in ball valve to stop any flow into my Fuge. My only worry is when I turn the pump off water rises a little, do you have any issues when you turn your return pump off? I'm talking about water rising in the back of the tank and going into the overflow.

11. Ashevillian

Yes you have to give gravity time to finish the drain so it gets a little funky, not sure if everyone with overflows have this problem or just the DIY group. I'm always super concerned because there are so many x-factors that can cause problems

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Also the overflow pipe will be very high up to keep the water at the right levels for the skimmer. After turning off the main pump it will only rise a about 1/4 inch at most. And I have 1.5 inches to play with down below so hopefully there should be no worries.