48Lx48Wx24H acrylic?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by reef_guru, Jan 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

when building a 48L x 48W x 24H using 1" acrylic would there have to be a top piece? or can i get away without it.

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

IMHO something can never be too strong.

4. killareefer

killareefer Feather Duster

i would put one there, thats gunna be a sweet tank

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's a lot of water and pressure on the sides. I would add something in way of a brace, especially if making it myself, I don't know how much you trust your handy work, but if it was me I would def. add something.

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Play it safe, add as much support as you can.

7. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

That's awefully thick acrylic though... you might be able to but I am no expert on it. Can't wait! :D

8. Click Here!

9. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

IMO The thickness of the acrylic isn't as much of a factor as the seal between panels... The 1" acrylic will stop a bullett and STILL hold your water back. I am in the middle of building a tank with only slightly larger diameters in length and a few inches shorter in height, (plywood) but the glass I am using is 3/8" thick, and it will WAY more than hold the water back. Keep in mind that it's not the length or width that matters when building a tank, it's the height. 1/4" glass will hold a column of 22" even if there was a lake behind it. It only adds a minor amount of pressure to add more length or width. Again, the place where this becomes MORE of an issue is the bottom corners and the bottom panel... Neither of which will be aided by the addition of a brace.

With 1" you'll have a very large amount contact area between the weldon... I am 100% positive that you'll be fine without a brace. Adding it would be just for personal comfort, but I would have NO problem whatsoever without it. Look at some of the rimless tanks professionally built.