40g breeder frag plumbed into 75 gal sump

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Toallhisdoom, Jun 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

candy? what kinda candy? lol

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Air heads tootsie rolls the fruity tootsie rolls iirc

4. Toallhisdoom

lol! well i am going to pick up the 40B this weekend! Then its time to sell some stuff and buy some needed stuff. good thing i got a couple catalytic converters that are worth about $100 each. :)) Light and overflow :)

5. Toallhisdoom

so you said i would eventually put a fish in here, just wondering what kind of fish would that be? i mean is there a reason? like i mean i could see maybe one of my pepermint shrimp if i got aptaisia growing or something. But what fish would i want in here?

And should i just leave this tank bare bottom with the egg crate to support the frags? or should i just make it another display tank with only frags?

I was thinking building the egg crate stand with the 3 levels, under the first level some small rocks, and just building up more and more rock as the levels got higher so that way i would have more live rock in my system. idk.

but yea what fish??

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Ive seen tangs in most FT's ive seen. But your tank is kinda small. Idk what you would put in it.

I think a large eggcrate piece, as large as will possibly fit inside the tanks inner perimeter, mounted 3" up or so as a "floor" for frags, and you can make tiers off that like a stair case. Thats what i would do.

No DT, just keep it for frags only, it looks cool.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I say that not out of need. Just because I did exactly what you are doing. Added a 40b just for frags. Eventually I added a little rock, then it looked boring with just frags and in went a pair of clowns lol.

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

eggcrate leachs something that causes it to grow hair algae like mad. Mine is quite a few months old and still growing massive hair algae. It's really annoying. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

10. Toallhisdoom

Ok lol would putting a peppermint shrimp in there be a bad idea? and like a few snails?

11. Toallhisdoom

ugh i hate hair algae. I have a refugium in my sump tho so hopefully that will just grow better :) butttttt maybe i could just use live rock as a base.

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Negative on the fuge. I run ULNS completely untraceable phos and nitrate.