40 Gallon ideas? It's a blank tank waiting to happen ;)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Arosereed, Jul 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Back to where we started ;D Let's start eliminating things. Do you want fish, inverts, or both?

2. Click Here!

3. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Camkha you rock! Haha I would be so lost. I am a super researcher before I do things, thanks for the patience ;)
    Fish are my priority, other things like inverts and frogs are sweet but can do without for a happier tank ;) I'd like to have a nice bunch of oddballs or "unique" fish. I love weird and bright ;) ( I once bought a "goldfish" bc it looked like an alien and was darn near see through, shoulda seen my other halfs face ;) ) that's why I'm drawn to puffers and gobies. I love eel looking fellas too. I know 25 gal isn't a lot to work with but if I'm gonna put the work into a palidarium I'd really like it to be different all around ;)

4. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Also any ideas on the hot glue gun being safe to use to attach things to the waterfall?

5. Camkha1234

I personally wouldn't risk using hot glue, because I have no idea of the effects, and I don't think you would want to test it on your tank ;D. It would be a lot better if you use super glue gel or aquarium silicone. If it's a bigger job, like the waterfall, then use silicone. I just think it would be safer.

6. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

I also had a post before tht to you ;)

7. Camkha1234

Oh yeah! :) Do you want to do a community tank or a species-only tank? Here's a better question: What fish catch your eye? You said you like unique looking fish. Have you ever seen the Black Ranchu Goldfish? You could also do what 1.0reef said and get a Mudskipper. Goo Obo Gudgeons and Peacock Gudgeons are also like Gobies. There are also African Butterflyfish that look awesome. You could also get a freshwater Pipefish. Ghost Glass Catfish are also pretty cool.

8. Click Here!

9. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Oh you so nailed it on the head! Ranchus are crazy sweet, but no more goldfish lol, did that it was heartbreaking :(. But butterfly fish! Awesome! The peacock gudgeons and the glass cats!
    You are just too good at this!
    So thinking 4-5 butterfly's 2-3 gudgeons 5 or so glass cats and 4 pipe fish? ( which btw pipefish are freaking sweet! Ok so we are talking you may have put together my dream tank! I'm hoping they would work, they all seem freshwater and smaller in size( peaceful). I love these fish and this is like the Mecca of all odd tanks! You are really Fantastic at this!

10. Camkha1234

Thanks :) Butterflys need 30 gallons and can be aggressive, so I'm not sure if they would work with the Pipefish, because of the food competition. Pipefish eat live foods but can be weaned onto frozen foods. They just like food that looks like it's moving. They also need a continuous food supply, so I would say to have them in a species-only tank for the best survival rates. 4-5 Catfish and 2-3 Gudgeons should be good. Or you could try a species-only tank with Pipefish or Butterflys. I would keep the Butterflys in a species-only tank because they'll eat anything that will fit in their mouth. Gudgeons need to be fed live or frozen (Never freeze dried) food and the Catfish will eat flake, frozen, and freeze dried food. Butterflys eat small fish, brine shrimp, insects and freeze-dried food.

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Black Ghost Knife fish are cool but will eat smaller fish.

12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

and they get big...