40 Gallon ideas? It's a blank tank waiting to happen ;)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Arosereed, Jul 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Guppies, gourami's, and platies are cool fish too.

2. Click Here!

3. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

What does hth mean? I am sooo not as hip a I thought! Lol anyway so brackish not a great idea? I could have swore I read puffers were brackish or maybe it was they could be adapted? Anywho I have a mini "bonsai" tree but it looks like a mangrove to me ;) I was thinking this would be perfect with some other salty marsh plants? I'm just so unsure as to what to populate it with and I don't want to build until I know for sure. My boyfriend is in love with gobies and I just love odd ball fish! While mollies and guppies are beautiful small sized fish they would breed like crazy and I'm not too sure if that would be a great idea with the palidarium. Also what could populate the land side? Question tho could I use a hot glue gun to adhere the rocks to the glass for the waterfall price? Is it harmful to fishies?

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

HTH means hope this helps. The Bonsai tree would work if you were sure that it was a Mangrove. You could just put rocks and branches on the land side if you want it to be brackish. You could even do something like a beach scape and keep a saltwater Goby and a couple other fish in there and have sand that slopes into the water.

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

What about mudskippers?

6. Camkha1234

Or if you like the striped look of the Bumblebee Goby, you could get a Dario Botia Loach and some Tiger barbs. I think those would look cool. You could even get some Cherry or Red Crystal Shrimp to keep it simple.

7. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Oh it all sounds good. I like the idea of having some mangroves and gobies, but would I be able to do much else with that? I also am in love with badis badis and scarlet badis fish! So I'm thinking those if not brackish?

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

In one of my posts I put a link to a bunch of water plants that could be in brackish water. Then, you could scape out the land part with rocks and branches. Badis fish are also beautiful as well. I actually found a brackish water puffer: Tropical Fish for Brackish Aquariums: Figure 8 Puffer

10. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

Yay a puffer! Ok so thinking 2 fan dance gobies, 2 bumblebee gobies, 1 figure 8 puffer, anything else? I have fish profile shock! I have read so many profiles I could write a book ;) any one have experience with badis fish?

11. Camkha1234

If you get the Puffer, you're going to want to keep is solitary as it will probably kill anything else in the tank.

12. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

And like all awesome looking fish, it will kill things hahaha. Alright so boo no puffer. Well then I'm gonna stick to freshwater as I also found out that my bonsai is not a mangrove but a common type of bonsai. Well I can start set up now that I know what type of tank to do ;) the bonsai is still going in there as well as possibly a few succulents. At least land side. I'm still pretty stuck on fish but I'm finally over brackish environments lol