40 Gallon Aquarium Help!

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Quartz92, Feb 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton

I am looking at getting a 40 gallon tank to house 4 angelfish. I want to know if I should have a planted tank, and if I could put rocks and driftwood in too? I have had a 20 gallon for 3 years now with many species of fish, right now I have 1 algae eater, 1 white tip tetra, 4 green bar danios, and 5 bleeding heart tetras, could I put these in with my angels? I would like to know, if I chose a planted tank how to get rid of the snail population? Also any other information would be great to! Thanks, Quartz92

2. Click Here!

3. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

That will be putting a lot of fish into a 40 gallon. The angels while small will be fine, but as they get older they will become territoral. When they start to lay eggs (female will w/ or w/o male) they will keep all other fish on other side of tank away from eggs. If you have two males, they will fight and injure each other. I had two in a 72 gallon and ended up raising babies for two years from the experience but they had their own tank for this. The mama would run ALL other fish to end of 4ft tank. Angels can grow very large so be prepared to get rid of others if you get more than 1.

I never wanted the hassle of a planted tank and the fish never minded. My danios had to be traded in as they stressed out my angels with all the swimming and moving about all the time and darting around. The danios actually killed a couple of my angels. I got rid of them and never had another problem. Cardinal tetras were great.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

a couple of clown loaches will decimate snails ;)

5. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton