40 breeder reef lighting...

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by High_hopes, Dec 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. High_hopes

High_hopes Astrea Snail

I am looking to spend anywhere between $200-$250. LEDs would be ideal. I have looked into the Kessils but I think i would need 2 of the a150w.

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I use a maxspect razor(20") on my 40b and really like it.Someone that keeps all sps wouldn't be happy with the light spread as it's a little weak near the sides but it works well for a mixed reef with some areas of intense light and some with less.A 36" t5 unit would light yout entire tank evenly if that's what you would like,but it would lack adjustability,other than raising or lowering the entire unit.A reefbreeders value fixture would light your tank about the same as my razor and would be well within your chosen budget.I decided to go with the razor because of it's slim design and built in timer system.Whichever led you choose it would be good to make sure it is controllable or dimmable,that's what gives them alot of versitility.

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I'd recommend going to LED's. Don't get me wrong- I LOVED my 4 bulb T-5 with ATI bulbs, but reefbreeders has some awesome LED's for really good prices. I just switched out my stock lighting in my 12g nanocube with LED's and couldn't be happier!

I am also setting up a 40g breeder mixed reef right now and once I have it cycled and ready to go, I'm getting a controllable reefbreeders fixture. That way I can "dial in" the exact color I want or make it really blue to make my coral color pop when I want to show off. ;D

5. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I thought I had already posted here but maybe not, I currently have ecoxotics on my 40B. I had two for six months or so but now that I have funds I have an actinic panarama pro with hopes to get two more (12k and blue) after the holidays. Two works fine but with the depth (front to back) four would be much better.

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I dont think you would be happy with the Kessil's. I know 3 people personally that got them, and were very unhappy with them.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Just an FYI. The reefbreeders/chinese LEDs will not provide as good a quality spectrum or as much PAR as a quality 4 bulb t5 with ATI bulbs. And it will cost more upfront. For a $200-$300 budget, T5 is the way to go.

8. Click Here!

9. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

Honestly, for now, grab a cheaper t5ho fixture, and save the money to go led's. If you're a diy kinda person, then you can slowly acquire what you need and then retro it into the t5ho fixture. It's what I'm doing with my odyssea setup once I get everything I need to go led.

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Reefbreeders fixtures with WW or NW will provide very good spectrum and PAR.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It's not comparable to a 4 bulb t5 running ati bulbs