4 years later... now I need your input.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by crockett, Sep 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crockett

crockett Plankton

Now it's finally time to get this hobby started! I opened a thread in 2010, researched the topics, was overwhelmed by all the information I took in and decided that I better wait until I'm retired and have all the time I need to do this right the first time.

Well this year I managed to get out of my business and I'm really looking forward to landscaping my very first aquarium.

Here is what I want to do:

1.) I decided after a long thought proses that I will start with a saltwater reef tank. I love challenges and besides some top level freshwater tank I don't really like the colors and the fresh water fish in general.

2.) Prepare a list of equipment, fish, live rock and corals that 'work' well together and are not extremely sensible in general.

3.) Budget is $1000 - $1200.

4.) I like it simple: all white fine sand, some life rock left, some right, most parts are open sand, just 2 or 3 small corals on each rock, 2 sort of fish - 4 each (grown 2" - 3" long) and 1 nice big colorful shrimp.

5.) The tank should be about 33" long, 16" deep and 15" high, alternatively a cube 24" x 24" x 16".

I live in Florida, the tank will be in my office and in summer its 79 F in this room because of several computers, around 72 in winter.

Here are my questions:

1.) Are there any good saltwater aquarium kits that match my requirements? Or a list of parts that go well together?

2.) I saw this for about $800: http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/15130-reef-aquarium-and-cabinet-set-m90/#.VCjZPGCPKVs

Is that kit any good?

3.) What fish, shrimp and coral combo do you suggest?

4.) Will I need a heater in winter?

Thanks for any input folks.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Welcome and good luck with your build! Im sure many people will say this but be careful about "going cheap." you have a tendancy to get what you pay for. That being said, you can get some very nice used tanks for good prices and the cost of lighting has come down considerably. Take your time and talk about your plans before you proceed and things will go well!

4. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

There are many kits on the market, I've never gone with a kit so I can't say. I usually buy my stuff piece by piece.

As for heating the tank in winter, it depends on the rooms temp? The tank needs to stay between 79-80.

There are quite a few fish firefish, watchman gobies, clownfish, cleaner shrimps, you need a clean up crew of snails and hermits.

Try liveaquaria.com, they have compatability charts for livestock plus tons of info on corals.

Great beginner corals: mushrooms, polyps, and pumping xenia

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Thread is from2014. ;-)

DSC reef likes this.