4" DSB

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Guest, Aug 26, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have read Dr Rons article on DS he feels that a 4" DSB on a small tank is useless. I have a 4" DSB on a 20 Gl high. Should I remove half? I figure the more sand the more critters.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey Steve -

Why would you want to remove half?
    If anything, I would think Ron would say to add more.

Do you have a link to where he says it's useless?

I can't agree with him there, I had a sand depth around 4 inches or less and it seemed pretty alive and well to me. Perhaps it was not as effecient as a 6 inch bed for lowering nitrates, but I would never say useless.

I am not into the real deep sand beds asthetically. I wouldn't go much over 4 inches myself.

The sand bed is not the end all be all, but one piece of the puzzle. There are many factors that go into a healthy reef tank.

keep in touch...

matt

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i stayed with a 4"sb in my 75 and theres tons of critters in it.you can see the worm and bug trails against the glass. when u hit it with a light at night you can see them crawlin around. if you have it established already i wouldnt touch it leave it alone. IMO you might do more harm then good by removing it especially if its working fine now by losin a lot of your critters

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for your replys. No he didn't neccessarliy say that a 4" DSB is useless. A matter of fact he is big proponent of one. Its just that he says you should have at least a 35 or 40 Gl tank to sustain the necessary critters to helpout in Bio Filtration. Any smaller of a tank doesn't benefit having a 4" DSB although sure it will house critters with or without a DSB that big.

6. NOWICKI

NOWICKI Astrea Snail

I just cam across this DSB :thumbsup: Truly a Deep Sand Bed!! thats_crazy
    [​IMG]

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah I am just not into the deeeeeep sand bed. I have said it once, I will say it again, if I wanted an ant farm, I would buy one.

HEY WHAT's WITH THE SITE?
    Does it look all messed up on your end Ryan?
    Looks like my provider turned my domain name off!! ::)

8. Click Here!

9. NOWICKI

NOWICKI Astrea Snail

I agree! That tank is a 1/4 sand! No thanks.

I'm not sure about the site. I didn't notice anything funky ::)

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

11. NOWICKI

NOWICKI Astrea Snail

wow, now everything has changed! the colors, layout, and size! Oh, and No, I can't get to that link! I wonder what is going on!

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

wow thats one deep sand bed i agree a little to deep for me. but some people like that

ya the site looks all different here also wonder what happened