3w Leds vs 50w leds

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mati_L, Aug 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Well it has the cool factor. But I would want to see some numbers under water.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

They said it came to about $800 for the single DY fixture and drivers (everything).

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I've been trying to stay out of this China-oriented discussion, but I can't help myself any longer.

120deg isn't all that wide when you consider how that angle is really measured. It's only 60deg from the vertical center-line.

The problem with the spread is that each diode is a point source. A flashlight, if you will. If you put only 5 flashlights over your tank, you'll get very concentrated spots and some insane, terrible shadows.

Epic facepalm.

There's a reason everyone talks about CREE: they work. Go find someone using Bridgelux who isn't using a whole lot more diodes then someone with a comparable CREE build. Also find the someone who has had long-term success with Bridgelux, especially with SPS all over their tank.

In addition, there's a reason certain companies like Aqua Illuminations choose CREE over everyone else. It's not to save cost...

Again, CREE is popular because they work. All LEDs are NOT created equal. Just because they're both 3W does not make them the same. Go look at and study the data sheets between both diodes. They are not equivalent.

Only the cheap Chinese fixtures are using Bridgelux for a reason as well...
    Profit margin over performance. They don't give two $(#*@ about how well, or if at all, the fixture actually works for you.

Thank you Steve.

True, the Ecoxotic pendants do use a higher powered diode, but the application of these is far different than your typical rectangular tank. If you've got a tank over 3' deep, something like these become a viable option.

Lastly, one more note on the cheap Chinese kits that seem to be be getting a buzz around here right now. I told one other member this, and I stand by it: They're cheap enough to afford a nearby fire extinguisher. Oh, and they're using sub-par diodes. They might look great on a tank now, but I promise they won't perform comparable to CREEs in the long haul.

5. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

well that sums everything up in a big bang, i might just give them a try see what happens im not sure or run t5's..The china stuff does for the most part fail in the long haul which is true, not with everything, but spending 800+ for a kit is tooo much for me

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Where were you looking at these 3w bridgelux LEDs? I havent been able to find them. I found as low as 4.5w. They ran at like 12V which seems like a lot but low mA and had a pretty high lumen output.

Bridglux...
    Description
    LS LED ARRAY,COOL WHITE,4.5W,520LM
    Series:LS Array
    LED Color:Cool White
    Luminous Flux @ Test:520lm
    CCT:5600K
    Forward Current @ Test:365mA
    Forward Current If Max:700mA
    Forward Voltage @ Test:12.4V
    Power Dissipation Pd:4.5W

Cree xp-g....
    Wattage: 3w
    Max Drive Current: 1500mA
    Forward voltage (@ 700 mA): 3.0
    Light Intensity: 139lm flux @ 350ma
    CCT: 5000K-8300K
    Viewing angle: 125°
    Color: Cool White

I am not saying the bridgelux is better but on paper it seems like it would be much brighter.

7. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Aquarium 72 LEDs Dimmable DIY LED kit with optics

someone here from 3reef spoke to them and Bridgelux which he confirmed they do get their leds from them.. i didnt personally do it but the guy Ray from aquastyle gave me a part number for the leds..the blue ones and they are on the site

a 48 led kit with sinks at rapid cost me 445... and with aqua a 72 kit with sinks and fan was 303

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I found the aquastyle kit I think you were talking about and the specs they post I see what evolved was talking about. Those LEDs don't look like they would work as well as Crees and I don't know if I would trust those to light my aquarium. I don't know what you plan on keeping or anything though either. My aquarium has a lot of SPS so I wanted the best LEDs that people have had experience with. If you are only keeping softies and LPS I might say go for it depending on how deep your tank is. Could be worse you could be thinking about getting a marineland reef capable lol.

Edit: Only thing you might wanna worry about is the Drivers. For one thing they are no name and the other they are constant current and not dimmable.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

One of the best posts in the other thread went without much attention:

11. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

They are dimmable and cheap to replace if they go bad.. but your right maybe for the 100 more i might go cree

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

That datasheet for the bridgelux isn't for the 3w leds though...unless they are running 30V through a 3w LED at 2000+mA

Edit: My bad I don't know how I missed that lol. I mean they even give you the POTs with it lol.