3w Leds vs 50w leds

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mati_L, Aug 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

mati L

do not encourage non sponsors to offer product for sale by offering to buy said product

you should report posts of this nature, so that my team mates or I can ban them much sooner

the poster does not have enough posts or time on the site to offer items for sale
    and has sneaked in to another thread, making an offer for an item

we cannot encourage this type of behavior
    people who contribute to this site ":3 reefers" and ""3 reef supporters" help fund the site
    but without the money sponsors generate, then we would not have a site

if sponsors believe that every Tom, **** or Harry can offer any items they like for sale on our site, then they will surely not bother sponsoring anymore

so I hate spammers
    and if they offered free stuff , I would not want it

and I would like every other member to also report this type of post when they see it

so that we can ensure
    members selling items are selling items they have spare - and not selling items they produce etc

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Sorry. None actually come to mind at the moment other than Chinese fixtures. I now there are a few non-Chinese-made ones...just can't think of any at the moment. I'll let you know.

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I don't know of any specific builds but I would check nano-reef forum as members there have been doing led builds much longer then any other forum...probably because they generally have smaller tanks lol. There really shouldn't be to much of a difference between the common Cree and the bridgelux...well with the exception of the larger wattage LEDs. You just gotta pay attention to the voltage and the amperage needed for the led and match that with the drivers you're looking at.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

50 watt led's aren't completely uncommon nor do they have the spread issues that most would imagine... They are ridiculous par close to the water level that would melt pretty much any coral. They are used for every deep tanks and commercial displays typically.

Ecoxoitc has this offering Cannon LED Pendants

6. BoostLED

BoostLED 3reef Sponsor

Seano Hermano said it correct in his earlier post--the efficiency of these higher wattage LED's are still relatively low (obviously this varies with manufacturer CREE vs Edison vs Bridgelux vs Semi etc.). The other thing to consider is the amount of heat per surface area these higher watt LED's produce which can pose a challenge.

7. Seano Hermano

That's OK par, but I wonder what the par level was, just below water level? Water and also water movement greatly decreases par readings. As water tension increases, the light will fraction and thus decrease the amount usable par.

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't call 300 at the water line "insane"... Or even awesome or good...

At the water line my AI Sol blues are around 1600 at full blast and over 300 on the sand bed. (18" AWL and 29" tank depth (47") )...

10. Seano Hermano

I thought 300 sounded pretty low, for the top.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

It produced 1500 at 18" through air and was never tested in water. The light was built more to test the heat sink he designed but here is the Thread so you can see it. And again this was only the bridgelux 18w LEDs.
    A little experiment ;) - Nano-Reef.com Forums

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

That makes more sense. Weird that he lost that much par through just air on lifting it up. Must be using wider than 40 degree optics..

Edit:
    Just saw the parts list

Here is the parts list:

(1) Nanocustoms 10" DIY LED Fixture
    (4) Bridgelux N1203 neutral white LEDs
    (32) Cree XR-E royal blue LEDs
    (4) Ledil Brooke-W 50 degree reflectors
    (32) Cree 60 degree lenses
    (2) Thomas Research 120W 1050mA drivers