3reef vs other reef sites

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Prince_Namor, Apr 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ok I saw that. :)

And thanks for the very kind words, I think.

It took me awhile to get with forum etiquette when I started here, but it's the best reefing forum there is IMO.

Knowing that the site does adhere to it's family orientated atmosphere, discourages negativity and is really geared to assisting all levels of the hobby without fear of flamming makes me feel comfortable here.

Members really put the extra effort into being positive and diplomatic in their post and that makes all difference.

Thank you to our leader Matt, the great moderators and awesome members for making this a great site.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I haven't been on two many reef forums, but being a former admin of a forum of similar size, as well as a member of several other hobby forums there are a couple things (besides just the friendly atmosphere!) that I enjoy about 3reef.

First, no question really is too dumb to ask. Someone will give you a good answer and not an "OMG you really had to ask about that?!"

I also enjoy that you dont get many "jeeze... do you know how to use the search option" type responses (especially where not deserved!).

Finally, I like how even as a newb I feel welcome. It's nice to get encouraging comments about progress, even from people with BEAUTIFUL reef tanks.

4. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

It's a relaxing bunch. People here who really know their stuff and post articles and threads are the same people who respond to common aquarium questions we all have. There are so many familiar faces and regulars posters that it makes the forum seem like a much more tight nit group. I've been to other reef forums and they kinda scare me as there is a clear hierarchy who think they no best and it creates a heated board and is just uncomfortable. I dont think I've been to another forum since I became a member here over a year ago.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I like that everyone is friendly and we have a lot if different views...being a larger forum we have this. At the same time, the forum is not too big. For the most part everyone is friendly and we try to cut the language. We are here to help, and debate(sometimes), not argue. :)

There are some forums out there(not naming any) that are just so big they are confusing. I get a headache just trying to use them - there is too much going on. :confused: ::)

I like the debating aspect of this forum. As long as it doesn't get taken too far, we all learn from it. I have to admit I am guilty of going over the edge a bit, a few months back, but I apologise for that. I try to keep cool now. :)

6. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Patience with newbies during the learning curve and a family friendly attitudes toward all .....

E

7. fishboyt

fishboyt Bristle Worm

I just joined today, but you guys seem like some of the nicest people. I joined Reef Central and posted a thread in the Welcome section, and nobody even responded. I'm a member of a local saltwater forum and they are as nice as you guys.

8. Click Here!

9. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I'm mostly a lurker, but I find that everyone here is respectful of one another. That creates an extremely productive and informative online community. By far my favorite message board!

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I belong to 5 bulletin board forums, 3 reef ones (go figure LOL), and 2 non-fish tank and have been on BBs since 2002.
    This one is my favorite. Ever.
    People here are laid back, helpful, and don't bash for the "sport" of it.
    Everyone is also willing to learn something new from each other for the most part. I know I've learned a lot here. I feel more comfortable sharing knowledge and fun stuff here too than anywhere else.

11. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

i am a member of 3 other forums and i only use them for additional references. more often the not i regret even searching there as i have to sift thru the fires to find any useful information. you can ask any question here (tang OK in a 10G??) and you will get an actual answer, not some hurtful or condescending banter. also, any questions that are answered by 2 experienced but opposing members does not take over the thread in a battle of opinion. in general this community is family friendly any you will be made aware of that via PM if you ever abuse the rules(i have and Matt personally PM'd me with the complaint and thats the end of the story).

RESPECT! thats the difference here.

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I like that this a smaller community, so we all get to know each other. I recognize almost every name of those who post on here - and that lends to a friendly and comfortable community atmosphere. You don't have to be afraid to post here as everyone is very helpful and will make you feel wanted, not like you're "crashing" a party or butting into a clique.

3reef rocks! :)