3reef is moving!

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Yes!!

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

IMOPE, 32-bit software runs perfectly fine on a 64-bit system; you just won't have any 64-bit features. The trade-off is that you get faster performance. :D

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well, you make it sound like such an ordeal,

I'm putting on my Dry suit, and my foul weather gear, tightening the outhaul and downhaul, and pinching up to weather until all this is over!
    (sailing speak)

5. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

It's a SCARY ordeal, for sure. You get your site "just right" and it's hard to pull that trigger even tho in the longrun it will be the right choice.

Kudos for making the jump Matt, and best of luck for a smooth transition!

6. Yose

Yose Plankton

Tell us more about your new platform. Single/multi server? Specs? OS? SANS? Virtualization?

We are in the middle of a core conversion and domain upgrade to win7 / server 2012. So much work for 2 people to convert 32 servers (physical and VM) and 70 WKS... We are going insane. On top of that we are building a new hot backup and DR site. We have been buying R710 servers with dual quad core procs, 32GB ram and 6 1TB 15K HDDS for like $2000 a piece on eBay. We bought a new 710 2 years ago and it cost 16K. The prices right now make it an IT dream.

Good luck with your project and if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

7. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

At least your not moving to Windows 8, with Win 7 you can still use Group Policy for a lot of tasks.
    I hear ya on the reduced price of servers, with the minituration of data centers and the new VRTX servers, it's good to hear those prices coming down. My next big purchase would be a loaded VRTX for a lot of $$$$$.

8. Click Here!

9. Yose

Yose Plankton

Is there a reason you're moving to win8? How many systems are you imaging/replacing? Are your end users going to be able to handle the new OS or are you forcing the classic UI? What is your domain level?

We just added a new Xen farm, and finally moved from term services so we have pretty much locked our users down on the OS.

10. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

God no, we're not moving to Win 8 yet, maybe if code blue is any better with the GP stuff we'll allow more granularity in the OS deployments. We've got a few users on Win 8 tablets, and thats it. If MS is going to change stuff like GP on Win 8, they need to come up with some replacements to GP that make it compatible. I'm still at 2003 level, only one 2003 server left. Only problem is, I have a trust relationship with another domain and hope for no implications when upgrading functional levels.

11. Yose

Yose Plankton

I went through MS6416D Upgrading from a 2003 to a 2008 domain and it really was transparent and straight forward. Just remember to back up the domain and don't forget your FSMO. Unless you're running banyan vines you should be ok :)

You're gonna love it when you've finally raised your functionality.

12. pizza101

pizza101 Flamingo Tongue

Great news! I hope all goes thru flawlessly..