3reef / ClamsDirect Raffle!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 10, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

So punish the ones whom haven't attended in the last month? So lets say I go on a company sponserred trip to Bali to set-up a export facility for our new net caught supplier and I stay for a little over a month, I'd be disqualified/punished for that? Ok, another one, lets say I get into a car crash and I'm in coma for 3 months, womp, no clam raffle for me. So I recover from my coma, I come back, and I see that I was disqualified due to not attending the forum in over a month. I'm gone and rest assured that ANYONE I can tell my story to, I will (opposite of a members drive which this is). Who suffers? The board and the member you excluded. Who wins? Only 1 person in the scenerio you are implying (excluding other members to give yourself a better chance of winning?). This raffle was created to conjure up more members, not punish existing members whom might not have been around for a while.

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

My last post was made during Craigs post so I din't get to see it when I was replying. Craigs idea sounds good BUT I still don't get ANY email notifications from this site which has been a running problem.

I say K.I.S.S., keep it simple stupid. Forget these after the fact rules and stick with what the raffle was created to do, reach 300 members.

4. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok WOW! Gresham why all the gloom and doom? I think if you are going out of town and said hey I will be back no one is gonna punish you for that and if I am in a coma for a month hell if I am in a coma for a day and miss the clam raffle is that really my biggest concern? I haven't been around here long and you weren't posting when I joined so I don't know you but I feel like you are aggressive in your responses all that we were trying to do was make a fair change to avoid awarding something to someone who became disinterested in the site. Craigs solution is good and remember it was a suggestion and could be modified to fit the sites needs and still be fair. By the way you ar ethe only one threating this siye with your solution:

So I recover from my coma, I come back, and I see that I was disqualified due to not attending the forum in over a month. I'm gone and rest assured that ANYONE I can tell my story to

I like this site because it is polite, intelligent and fair. Not to mention I think Matt does a great job!
    No offense but I am defending my self here for the first time since signing up.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Everyone is entitled to opinions, let's play nice. Nothing has been cast in stone and we still have some time here to see what Matt Rogers intends to do, he has the final say. We're just gathering ideas. Keep the emotions in check please.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Most people that would be going on a trip or what ever would have still posted over 20 posts. Take Gresham... he has 372 posts so that would make him active.
    Craig has a good idea if Matt has a break down of the monthly posts by each member.
    I feel that we could exclude those people who have not posted a single post within the last 6 months as if they were sick or out of town I think this would have given them plenty of time to have posted something, and the real users of this group should have a better chance at winning as they are loyal supporters.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

No posts in the last 6 months to me would be abandonment and an email to those people stating to come back and give us a try again and start being an active member would be fair to me. Say post 10 more times and they are considered active?

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Phil meet Gresham - he can be a bull in the china shop or in his case a shop full of glass tanks, but I don't think he was attacking you personally, just being PASSIONATE! He's a passionate guy, nothing wrong with that in this case. heh. I am one myself. And he found the smiley button recently, so let's hope he uses it! ;D

ANYWAY, back to the raffle, I see his point, and yours and Nauts and Craigs.

But the little voice in the back of my head is telling me it is pretty lame to change the rules this far in. THis may be a lesson learned for the next give away.

This is just my current thought, I am still open to ideas and will listen to what you guys say.

:) :) :)

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Why do you feel you are having to defend yourself? Your telling me that no one on this site has offered an opinion opposite then yours since you've signed up?

I'm throwing ideas, "what If" scenerios and counter opinions out, not attacking. If I were attacking you, I'd say something about you or I'd imply you weren't polite, intelligent or fair and post it in a public forum.

My 'what If" scenerio you quoted wasn't a threat by me to the site, it was a simple "what if" scenerio.

Sorry, alls I see is a few people in the running for a prize that are trying to delete others that qualify to the original concept of a membership drive to reach 300 members with the only stipulation being that you need to make 20 posts AND this is being done, what 18 members away from the end? Hmm. Like Craig said, EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THER OPINION. Like its been said before, "opinions are like a$$'s, everyone has one."

One interesting thing to note, those who are in the running for the clam are suggesting new rules, while those of us(well, me) whom aren't are saying don't add new stipulations so close to the end and stick to the original concept.

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

You guys quit making this raffle so "complicated" >:(

I am going to win anyway - already have clam picked out at Barry's.

;) ;) ;)OmarD

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Omard, I agree. So which one do you want? Give us a link.