375 gallon tank - 10 yrs old - still no coraline

Discussion in 'Algae' started by luvreefs23, Jul 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I hope that your agreed-upon measure of success is NOT the growth of coralline algae. It would be nice, but it's not only not an indicator of "turning it around" but it's not the criterion you're looking to meet to show your client that you've done it.

I think the tunzes are a good start, as water movement can never hurt. A good sized reactor chamber will be great as well.

Since money is no object, (you lucky dog!!) I'd ask reef_guru, tangster, Otty, or some others which protein skimmer to employ.

I don't have my paperwork handy, but if I'm not mistaken the Vortech MP40 can function on as thick as 5/8" glass.

2. Click Here!

3. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Need an update! Corraline growing yet? Tank doing better?

4. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

5. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Sorry everyone, been spending alot of time working on the tank and just squeezing my life in. I did redo the entire filtration system, its not as fine tuned and pretty as i wanted it to be...thats why i havent posted a pic but since its been a while and will be a little while longer i throw one on ne way. It went from this:

[​IMG]

Which was a fire hazard and disaster waiting to happen to this:

[​IMG]

I have the automatic water changer and everything on there, a spectra litermeter 3 but have to calibrate it and run the rest of the quarter inch line. Its in the top right hand corner above the sump. U cant get a great look at it but i also have a reeflo orca 250 man handling the system right now....what a difference compared to the skimmer that was on there. I have no pix of the tank up stairs yet cause in the next week or two i will be re aquascaping and catching all the reef hazards that are in the tank so we can start adding good fun stuff. Btw, coraline is now beginning to grow....Coral does well till a fish or urchin or whatever eats it. Phosphates went from 1 to 0 and nitrates went from off the charts to 20. Im happy with how everything is going, got 2 vortechs and 2 new tunze 3100 gph pumps to add too. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

WOW :eek:!!! you did a really nice job dude! how long did it take you to do that?

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

really looks a whole lot better!! good job...got coralline?

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

get the bubble King skimmer its the King lol
    also purple up might help with the corralline algae

10. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

It took me 83 hours....lol, coraline is starting up on its own. Ive never used any additives, just stay on top of water changes.

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

wow 83 hours?? i would have guessed more, like i said before nice work!!:) i would deffinately be very proud if i where you!

btw he better be paying you very well for your services ;D

12. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Yes, he is treating me very well. I have gotten many gadgets and equipment for my tank including a aquacontroller jr, couple vortechs and picking up a new 300 gallon marineland tank for myself this sunday.