375 gallon tank - 10 yrs old - still no coraline

Discussion in 'Algae' started by luvreefs23, Jul 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Coralline algae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like no one agrees there on what it is either. Tangster is right though the snails won't eat it. That definition lists a few that eat it.

I think that your probably thinking about the red slime algae(diatomic?) there are some snails that will help with that I think.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'm not sure what portion you wanted referenced ?

But let me say this I do not reference anyone . If its the part about a skimmer and Coraline's getting established ? Or the fact that coralline are not a true algae but a ancient form of coral ? Been established yrs and yrs ago Google that seems the way all the newer people get their experience from or lack of ?
    If its the reference to snails eating coralline ? LOL Urchins will eat at it I know of no snails that will .. Or maybe it was the part of coralline needed a specific lighting spectrum to grow in ? Let me now add nothing bothers me more then some person piping in with a link to what they have read like it was Gospel with nothing that they really know for themselves .. You tell me what you want verified and I'll help you google it :)

O.K first hit on Google you can sort through them all ? I won't I have more then a few places its not a plant and I have read it is more like a plant ? Like with all expert opinons its just that and we all have one , I know I use it as a bramoter of my systems health and will not add a coral until I have it firmly established I never have a problem growing SPS to sell :) and I hate scrapping it , If I treat it like a plant it dies off if I give it what delicate coral require aside from intense light it thrives I really could care less as to what it is myself , My first Google hit you let me know what you find out as I said expert opionion changes from week to week and paper to paper . I remember the debate over sponges being plant or fungus yrs ago I did not worry about that one either I had then growing like weeds at that time .

Coralline algae Plant or a Ancient coral ? - Google Search

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Tangster is 100% right here on the fact that anyone can Google something and it's the wrong information. If you Google a topic and it's linked to a thread here written by wildreef, it could most definitely be the wrong information, but it's up to you if you want to believe it or not.

Luvreefs23 - who is the guy who's maintaining that tank now, and why do you have to fix his problems? He's paid to do it, right unless you fired him ;D.
    Have Tangster build you a denitrator coil and replace the RO/DI membranes in the unit. Nitrates are def too high there. Who feeds and how much? ... There's a reason the nitrates are high... you need the right water conditions and there has to be some coralline to seed the tank. You can't grow something from nothing.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Holy Shnikes!!

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You got that right when I crushed up my legs the first time in the head on the Dr's at MCV in Richmond plated and screwed me back together , Then last Dec when I shattered my left leg they did two operations up here First guy said well I' do what I can to hold it on until you see this expert :) He went in and did over everything , Then when the home part kicked I was told that we use a blood thinner you have to inject twice a day inti your self we don't like the oral meds Like you have in Richmond LOL Oh we don't use that methoed here with that or this .. Its all about opinions and give someone two choices and they will have different opinions LOL Unless its to hold something on my body I could care less about what anything is or how its used :)

I have had Dr's make to many mistakes with me and mine and that I worry about not a coralline LOL it is what it is :) But a good link I'll read it sooner or later ..

7. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Well everyone, i landed the *job*....i have a month to start turning this tank around. Im thinking a 50 gallon water change a week, maybe 75....and get a large geo reactor for phosphate media and give the skimmer a good cleaning. If all goes well and i can get coraline to start growing i just maybe on my way to a hell of a fun part time well paying job. Im pretty confident i can turn it around. Ill take my camera this weekend and take pix to post so everyone can see what im dealing with. Oh, i think im gonna add to large tunzes also.....i think the glass is to thick for the vortechs.

8. Click Here!

9. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

you are very lucky, i would love to take care of tanks for money

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Well a denitrator coil could take a couple months to grow enough bacteria before it's working at full capacity. Good things take time. Turning it around in a month may not be as simple as you think. Follow advice from the right people here and you'll be in better shape.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Doing it for money makes it a Job :) And how many fun jobs have you ever had ? I know I get sick of looking at grow out tables and fragging and soaking and just in general proprogation day to day stuff it gets old fast. I do not have to go and clean tanks someone else does that I just grow the livstock .

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well I take 3 months to cycle a system, I never check for all the mess others do like the ammonia and nitrites and nitrates , They will come and go except the NO3's they tend to lay low until they are needed again but always present , I deal with them through the use of a coil myself and coralline do not like nitrates unlike other plants :) Cal Carbonate's and Magnesium are the needs of corallines plus very dim lights in the 430 actinic range or very diffused brighter white lighting . Again unlike most plants :) But to set a dead line of 2 months it will never happen when you get moved and set it back up if you do ? Try a different methoed next time They way I set them up its never been a problem for my tank or any of them .

First problem most have or mistake is to rinse the agranoite media of its dust, Then all they talk about is my ammonia and yadda are here when ca I add somthing rather then getting the 3 importiant levels correct and steady and then they want to throw a skimmer on there and the skimmer will strip the free floating spores and then the lighting they want to blast the 10K and or the 10 T5's and not just run the actinicks for a few weeks .. Instead of putting the horse before the cart its bassakwards they way most try to set them up. IMO