35 gallon hexagon tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by fishgirlheather, Mar 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishgirlheather

fishgirlheather Astrea Snail

Thanks for the links. The bottom of my tank says "Second Nature Whisper 800." The sides are 11 1/2'' wide by 22'' tall and the diameter is 20 in from side to side.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=fishgirlheather link=board=lighting;num=1080179531;start=0#10 date=03/25/04 at 18:03:15]Thanks for the links. The bottom of my tank says "Second Nature Whisper 800." The sides are 11 1/2'' wide by 22'' tall and the diameter is 20 in from side to side.[/quote]

20" will work great. Do you have $200 or so to throw down?

cheap road is the 175 watt, but that last link I posted is sweet. ;) :)

5. fishgirlheather

Thank you for the great links. Although a great investment, $200 is a lot of money. I think that I will look furthur into lighting when my tank is established enough to keep corals. Just wondering, do regular household bulbs do anything for photosynthetic animals and corals?

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=fishgirlheather link=board=lighting;num=1080179531;start=0#13 date=04/03/04 at 06:19:57]Thank you for the great links. Although a great investment, $200 is a lot of money.  I think that I will look furthur into lighting when my tank is established enough to keep corals. Just wondering, do regular household bulbs do anything for photosynthetic animals and corals?[/quote]

The household bulb dose not even come close to the spectrum needed for a reef tank.
    I would go with the MH bulb/ballast if just starting out again.

7. fishgirlheather

Ok, I'm still trying to decide what type of corals I want to keep and how many watts I will need. Thanks for all of your help

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah that is a tough tank to light properly up without halide.

I just looked around for a Power Compact lamp that might work, but I couldn't find an equivalent in 20".

I found a 23" that runs three 55 watt bulbs for $205. But that is 3" too long and only $40 cheaper than that last halide I posted and will cost you more when it's time to replace bulbs. :-/

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I can't agree with Nautilus more on this Heather. Save those pennies for a MH light and you'll be able to keep any coral or clam in the future.