30g Cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Quartz92, Mar 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton

I have done a lot of research and have come out of it with only some information. I am looking at starting a 30g cichlid tank and I have a few species I would like to keep.

Yellow labs
    Rusty Cichlids
    Pseudotropheus sp. Acei (Told can be really aggresive)
    Pseudotropheus socolofi
    Pseudotropheus saulosi

Which fish can be housed together to make a nice set up?

Please help I have 3 years experiance with freshwater and would like to try cichlids!

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton

5. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton

So far I no for a fact I am getting 4 acei's and 4 yellow labs, 1 male 3 females.

6. cwick22

cwick22 Plankton

That seems like a lot of fish for a 30 gallon. At one point I had an extra Giraffe, Acei and 2 Gold fish. (I knew that the goldfish weren't gonna last long in there but my daughter really wanted them in there. They were in there for like a 3/4 yr until one lost an eye!) Anyways, i was doing about a 60-70% water change/wk.
    My stock is down to what you see in my signature and I still do water changes before I have to (about every 2 weeks) but the fish seems less stressed, healthier, and they all have their own territories. My tank is looks great and stays crystal clear.
    Having that many fish in a 30 gallon will take a lot of time and maintence. You can do it though. Might be a little hard on the cichlids. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  7. cwick22

cwick22 Plankton

8. Click Here!

9. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

id watch the socolofi and yellow labs with the salousi. Personally if it were my tank id get 6 salousi (they are dwarf mbunas), 2 males, 4 females (males are blue, females yellow). Id avoid the acei, personally for me, ive never been a fan and they can grow to be 6" or so... and id throw in 3 rusties... give it a few months they will establish themselves and before you know it you will have babies (very interesting mating ritual cichlids have, a must to observe at least once). Keep up with weekly maint. and you should be fine. remember, cichlids are messy, so the more filtration the easier it will be on you.