300G Acrylic Repair

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Ryland, Jul 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Hey guys. I need some input on a dilemma I have. I currently have the opportunity to purchase a 300 gallon acrylic aquarium with a built in over flow chamber. The only problem? There is a 15 inch long crack in the bottom pane. I have heard this can be repaired but I don't know much about it. A search of the web isn't exactly giving me good ideas. Any input, advice, warnings, ideas please? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

I would never trust a diy repair on that. Repairing a crack is just going to have a weak point, and a crack that long on the bottom is just going to be a disaster when it goes again.

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Thanks for the input. I was thinking that maybe I could run some Weldon into the crack. Since it is on the bottom I also thought I could then add a piece of acrylic over the top of it and weld it to the bottom of the tank. You would never see it under sand. And maybe reinforce the crack?

5. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I think in the bottom of a tank, your repair idea should be fine. We've patched acrylic a few times this way (Weld-On in the crack plus a patch), and have never had one fail. Since it's on the tank bottom, and the patch inside the tank, I'd say it will be plenty-well supported in this case.

6. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Thanks for the response. I plan to pick it up this weekend. The spot that concerns me is where the crack meets the overflow chamber. Will this be a problem with sealing and patching? Thanks

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Also, do I need to use a patch the same thickness as the bottom pane? I think the thickest around this area is about 3/8".

8. Click Here!

9. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Does the crack run under the overflow wall or just up to it? I'd be a little concerned in that case, as any part of the crack that isn't sealed/supported might propagate.

3/8" sounds awfully thin for a 300 gal setup, altho I've heard that some tankmakers use thinner stock on the bottom of their tanks. I'd suspect that tank should be at least 1/2" thick, but to be honest, I had our 7' x 2' x 2' 210 gal built out of 3/4" stock so it won't bow. That being said, 1/4" is OK for the patch, as it's going to bond to the bottom panel anyhow, but 3/8" is fine too.