300 Gal. Marine Fish Only Tank

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by DONFISH2, Apr 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

welcome to 3 reef , fantastic sized tank

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Sounds nice let's see it!

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

welcome to 3 reef

5. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

welcome to the reef

6. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

okay so where are the pics? i dont believe you

7. DONFISH2

DONFISH2 Plankton

Well that was a nice response from everyone. I'am in the process of cleaning my tank. Do to my economic distress, I have had to put the care and maintenance on hold. But I can't wait no longer. The tank looks like crap. The pics are coming, I promise, just bare with me. Now just to find that camera...lol.....

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Welcome!!!!!!!!!8)

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I saw the pics in your album. I really like your equipment area. It's very practical instead of flashy. But I guess looks mean jack squat in an in wall tank. :D Do you have a full tank shot from the front? I wanna see your fishies.

11. DONFISH2

DONFISH2 Plankton

Well I posted some really, really, badly taken pictures. I have a first gen. digital Kodak, 2.0 mega pix, that the auto focus doesn't seem to function, or maybe it's me. Sorry but I just can't seem to get the fish I have to sit still and smile. The very small selection of fish that I have at the moment that is. Well I will keep at it till I get some better pics.

I try to run a bare bones operation here, so there is no real expensive or Excessive Overkill, none. All that stuff equals more work than I want to deal with. The tank has been in this form since 2003. All I do is water changes, when I do them, about every 3 or so months I change about 100 Gal. with some additives.

I used to have a 100 gal. in where the 300 gal is now. The 100 got so scratched, from me abusing it, that I wanted to replace it. I found the 300 in a local fish shop that someone ordered and never picked up. They just wanted to get rid of it because it was taking up so much space. I offered $400, and they put it in my truck. The only problem I had was getting the protection paper off. What a bear that was. Oh I still have that 100 gal. in my garage. I just can't seem to let my fish equipment and stuff go....

The reef ready 120 gal. on the other wall was my second tank I got in 1993, I think. It now holds mostly my live rock that I have accumulated over the years. The only fish in the tank now is a yellow spotted (Fimbriated) moray. I have had this guy for at least 13 years now, and I got him second hand from a guy who said it was to big for his tank. Pics to come shortly. He likes to be in pictures, has a great big smile to share......

As you might have noticed is my two metal halide lights are gone and in there place is a Fluorescent tube unit off my spare 55 (I have used equipment everywhere it seems). Well two metal halide lights are expensive to operate at the moment so they are now in the garage getting refurbished so they will be ready when I need them. And yes I know this isn't enough light for a tank this size, but I am not keeping corals, so it's works just fine for now.

I had a refugium, in the corner by the window, made from a old sump I had. It did well for a few years, but it needed new dirt and I let it go, then bamm !!! It failed.... So it got Dismanteled.

Well If this keeps up I will probably have to start a blog, maybe......

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I really like that tank. The artificial corals remind me of Scuba diving in the Bahamas. Is that 120 "in wall" too or is it located solely in that room?
    Here's some scuba diving pictures to show you how alike it looks. all these taken by me from a $20 disposable waterproof camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a little tip for ya on how to post pictures into threads. All you gotta do is sign up at photobucket.com and put your pictures in there. Then you just copy and past their "IMG html" link and paste it into a thread. and voila.

Turn this:
    [ IMG ]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/J_Win/shark.jpg[ /IMG ]

Into THIS by taking out those spaces in [ IMG ]:

[​IMG]