30" to 24" Coralife fixture mod DONE! pics pg.2

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by FatBastad, May 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Electrical work is finished - the project is complete! I'll post some pics tonight.

Thanks to 2in10 on the bulb combo. Wow, what a difference!

2. Click Here!

3. ladysabertooth

ladysabertooth Plankton

I have the same light and need to do the very same mod you have done. Can you list exactly what you ordered and were you ordered it all so I can place the very same order? Also any extra things you needed for the mod. Basically want to do the one stop shopping :p Oh wait mm I have the High Output T5 Dual Lamp. ok not quiet the same. How to you find out what size ballast?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

DISCLAIMER WARNING - Attempt at your own risk. This DYI is for imformational purposes only! I hold no accountability for any ramifications resulting from the modification(s) of any light fixture(s)!

Here is a link to the Aqualight pdf, it'll show you how to access the ballast tray.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Media/PDF/74815-AqualightHOT5Manual.pdf

Once you pull out the ballast tray, you can see the model number.
    My 30" 4 bulb fixture came with two Lightpark Model T5120-239HOMPF ballasts.

T5120-239HOMPF
    (239 represents 2x39 watt bulbs)

Replaced with
    T5120-224HOMPF
    (224 represents 2x24 watt bulbs)

I recommend against ordering ballasts if they don't have the factory wiring harness connection.

If you did order the bare wire ballasts, the thing to do would be to cut the female harnesses off the old ballasts leaving 1" - 2" of wire you could then use to solder and seal with heat shrink tube - which would obviously then plug right into the fixture.

Cutting the square holes in the reflector was NOT easy!
    I've used Dremel type cut off wheels for precise deburring of newly machined aircraft engine parts for years so I've got a bit of experience with these type of tools.

The bulb sockets are held in place by a tight "snap" fit into in the square holes (there are two barbs on the side of the sockets) so the fit has to be very close!

You'll also need to relocate the two reflector braces.

Again, this only pertains to the 30" bulb to a 24" bulb conversion - anything else and you'll ballasts models will be different!

I didn't order everything from the same place.

I will post pics tonight or this weekend.

My advice is to return the fixture if it's new!
    You want to avoid doing this mod if at all possible.

Go buy a 4 bulb 24" fixture and get some ATI bulbs!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  5. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

DISCLAIMER WARNING - Attempt at your own risk. This DYI is for imformational purposes only! I hold no accountability for any ramifications resulting from the modification(s) of any light fixture(s)!

End caps, leg guards, legs and splash guard removed.

[​IMG]

Stock ballasts
    Lightpark model: T5120-239HOMPF
    [​IMG]

Replacement ballasts
    Lightpark model: T5120-224HOMPF
    [​IMG]

Label all connections!!!
    [​IMG]

Label all connections!!!
    [​IMG]

30" bulb vs 24"
    [​IMG]

Unscrew the reflector and gently take it out.
    [​IMG]

Unsnap all sockets from reflector.
    [​IMG]

The 2 bulbs in the center line up perfectly with the reflector holes, another obstacle!
    [​IMG]

The 2 bulbs in the center line up perfectly with the reflector holes, another obstacle!
    [​IMG]

New cutoff wheel in my ancient Dremel.
    [​IMG]

For those who've never used these type of wheels, they are thin. They will snap like .7 mechanical pencil lead. Yet they can withstand 25,000 RPM.
    [​IMG]

Using a sharpie and a thin piece of cardboard (I used some from a tissue box) make a stencil of one of the square socket holes.
    [​IMG]

Make your measurements, place the template down and scribe the outline into the reflector.
    [​IMG]

Cut holes. (not deburred or filed smooth yet)
    [​IMG]

Cut holes. (not deburred or filed smooth yet)
    [​IMG]

Cutoff wheel when done. Wheww, just made it!
    [​IMG]

Sockets snapped into place with a reassuring "snap" indicating the holes were cut just the right size! ;D
    [​IMG]

I moved the reflector mounting brackets to the edge of the original socket holes. I took the screws out and put on larger washers to get a better bite on the reflector after these shots.
    [​IMG]

New ballasts mounted to the tray and all labeled up ready to go!
    [​IMG]

Soo, I know what your thinking... "That slacker used wire nuts after all this?!"
    Yup.
    After going to Radio Shack, then to an RC Hobby store and back to Radio Shack to buy their packages of the white quick release harnesses, just to get the pieces inside that I planned to solder onto the new ballasts - turned out they were too big and were not going to fit into the internal female connections on the fixture's male plugs...

So,
    1. I do NOT see myself ever replacing these ballasts in the future thus I do not see the need for quick connectors.
    2. After some research, these quick connections are a bottleneck since they don't transfer current "well" or as well as the wire nuts will.
    3. I do not see the need to go to further lengths to solder and heat shrink these connections since nothing else in the fixture is waterproof or resistant.

[​IMG]

FTS.
    Again I'm using 2 Coral Plus and 2 Blue Plus.
    I really like the color and am very happy with how this whole thing turned out.
    As you folks know, the phone pics just don't do the actual color justice.
    It's very crispy white with definite blue in it. 15000K ish I'll guesstimate

[​IMG]

Difficulty rating of this mod:
    Prob a 5 out of 5 if you plan on keeping the fixture and reflector looking stock.

If you don't have much experience using cutoff wheels it will be very easy to screw up the square holes. The sockets do have a small mounting hole which COULD be used to secure them with one small bolt and nut, but I advise against this! You have to still be accurate down to about 3/16" of the total bulb length and trying to attach them with a bolt and make a slot for the wires to go in will just add another layer of trickery to this mod.

Hope you enjoyed and learned a thing or two!

-FB