30 gal tank with bubbles?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Guest, Sep 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

i have just setted up my 30 gal tank freshwater, things are running great but i have been having bubbles from my air pump not poping when they hit the surface rather they hang around up there n form like a bubble carpet on the top of my water.... please help.

2. Click Here!

3. oside

oside Astrea Snail

Is this a new or used tank?
    Did you use any soaps when you cleaned out the tank prior to filling it up?
    What additives did you use to treat your water (if any) & did you mix them in a separate container beforehand or just in the tank?
    Matt B

4. Guest

Guest Guest

the tank isnt new as i just replace the water i cleaned the tank with just plain water no soap or snything i used amquil [spelling] and waterclear to the water directly n had it cycle trew the filter for 1 hour. there are live plants inside the tank. the filter is also new so basically the whole tank is brand new.

5. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Do a water change of 25 %! that might help Be sure to skim off the top of the water

6. Old Sloppy

Old Sloppy Plankton

Sounds like contamination ( like soap) to me.
    This will help to skim the top off.
    Lay some paper towels on top of the water to soak up whatever it is.
    Then into the trash can .

Harry S.

7. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

water changes may cause bubbles

HI,
    If I do a large water change I usally see bubble the first day or so, it may be the chemicals releaseing the chlorine out of the water as a gas, maybe age the water alittle before you add it next time with the chlorine removers.
    If your ph is low in the new water it maybe a chemical reaction.too . I always put a little buffer in my new water so the ph dosen't swing around. freshwater tanks tend to become acetic as they age so a little buffer may prevent any new water shock.
    I have found that a little crushed coral couple tablelspoons can make a big difference. in the gravel goes along ways to prevent problems with ph crashes. I use a couple cups in my larger tanks
    doug

8. Click Here!

9. OGW

OGW Astrea Snail

First turn off your filter and any powerheads that are circulating the water.
    Wait until the water has stopped moving completely.
    Then look at the surface of the water from below, with the light on, and see if there's appears to be an Oil "Slick" formed or if the bubbles start to pop.
    If there is a slick or if you dont see anything still try this:
    Twist up a paper towel and stick it in the water so it pierces the surface only an inch or two.
    Pull it back out....Does it leave a spot that appears cleaner???
    Does any of the water droplets from the paper towel that fall back into the tank make a clear spot???

Most of the time I found that a "Slick" will appear if the tank has been overfed, if any leftover food has not been removed after the fish have had their fill, or if I have not washed and dryed my arm before vacuaming.

I've found this to work in the past:
    Turn off all filters and powerheads.
    Wait until the water calms.
    Place the siphon in the water slowly with the open end up.
    Slowly stick it down in the water so that it skims off the top.
    Only let the siphon tube get about 3/4 full.
    Pull it out and dump that water...repeat until the Slick appears gone.
    Replace water to normal levels.
    Turn the Filters/Powerheads back on.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Wow....you guys are going waaaay back in time :)

1 person likes this.