30” Odyssea Metal Halide System 380W Review

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ComputerJohn, Mar 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

The MH.
    I had a 48" 175W system that had 19 1/2 " in between the lamps. The new Odyssea 48" only has 9 1/4 " in between. I have a long tank so I was disappointed to learn that. It still works ok but I would rather have them further apart.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Here's a pic of my Odyssea ballast plugs. Does it look like the icecap would just plug into it? And which icecap? I have 250W X 2.
    thanks.

Attached Files:

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep, that's it. Plug-n-play. Shoot luna a pm and he can confirm. He just recently added the 2x250 watt ice-cap ballasts. I went with the Lumatek ballasts instead. Not plug-n-play, but, fairly easy to do. I can help if you need.

1 person likes this.
  5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats the same ballast I replaced with IceCap. Plug N play, the only thing that you will not need is the cable that is attached to that plug that is in that pic that you posted. Only negative asspect is that the cords is going to be alot shorter than before. Luna

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Heres a copy and paste of the new email that I sent yesterday, which has the model #.........

[FONT=宋体]Hi, Tony, How are you.[/FONT]
    [FONT=宋体]Please visit our web store www.ballastWise.com again to get more information about DXE296HPL would be good for your replacement.[/FONT]
    [FONT=宋体]Any questions please let us know,[/FONT]
    [FONT=宋体]Thanks & Best Regards,[/FONT]
    [FONT=宋体]Simon Lee[/FONT]
    [FONT=宋体]www.BallastWise.com operation Team[/FONT]
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:17 AM
    Subject: Which Ballast?

To whom it may concern,

I’m looking to replace my PC ballast, but don’t know which one to get. I have a Odyssea light fixture which has (2) 96w PC(power compact) bulbs. What do you recommend? Thank you for your time in this matter. Tony

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

That looks like a standard computer power cable.. That's the plug for the light into the ballast??

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

GREAT!!! Thanks for the info!!

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I think I'm convinced. .. and going to order these.
    I wonder who sales the extension cords..this is from one of the reviews on marinedepot:

If you want to have your ballast away from your light set up and aquarium like you should to avoid the possibility of water and humidity exposure, you need to get your self a c13 to c14-18 awg-250 volt, 10 amp power cord. In human words a 250 volt CPU power cord. These cords have the quick connect ends that ice cap uses.

I wonder where to get these extension cords cuz my ballast sit pretty far from the light.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Hmm that's interesting.. I talked to them on the phone last year and the said they don't sell stuff for what I needed. But that was the same one I would have needed. I ended up getting a coralife ballast that worked but I sold it recently and bought this whole new hood. I've wasted a lot of money trying to get where I want these lights to be. hehe

12. ComputerJohn

LOL That's easy. Any computer store or ebay will have it. It's a computer power extension cable. Here you go $1.99 each...

Computer Monitor Power Cord AC Extension cable 6 ft 18g - eBay (item 140302054503 end time Mar-18-09 18:17:52 PDT)

Enjoy...

1 person likes this.