3 Fish Deaths by JUMPING, help!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by logic-pending, Nov 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I agree the current is not good... but I do not think that is your problem and while it should be corrected, IMO, it is a red herring right now.

The problem is you have too many fish in a 19 gallon. Probably 2x too many. On top of that, one is a major bully (Psuedos are notorious for this). That is what the fish are running from (jumping). They do not have enough room to move around between them and this is leading to jumping.

The super high stress of very tight quarters and the bully is making their immune systems weak. And that is why they are coming down with ich.

In a nutshell, fewer fish. is your answer. You have\had more than I have in my 55.

What do you have now (to clarify)?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. logic-pending

logic-pending Astrea Snail

Hmm, what's the Plexiglas sitting on? If I were to do that on mine, the acrylic would have to extend outside the edges of the tank right?

Perhaps I could even use that to rest my lights on it. :cheesy: Do you think the heat from the light fixture would cause the acrylic to melt?

4. slocal

slocal Doot!

The plexi is sitting on the inner lip of my tank. I only put it on at night and when I'm out of the house. I wouldn't have it covering most of the light since it will decrease the light's penetration into the water and may also heat up, but not to the point of melting.

Peredhil does bring up a very valid point. I must have overlooked that you're in a 19g.

5. logic-pending

Right now? I have three left - Bicolour Pseudochromis, Bicolour Blenny and Yellowtail Damselfish. :\

Yeah I agree that my tank is pretty overpopulated :-X But the tank is 2.5 feet long, does that help?

Just to add, my Pseudo never really bothered my False Percula. Plus he jumped out when the lights were still off, and my Pseudo always hides somewhere when it's dark.

So I don't think I can be sure that it's the pseudo causing the jumping, but I think I will return him to the LFS soon.

6. logic-pending

Oh, your tank has an inner lip, how convenient ;) But mine doesn't, so any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe I could do something like yours, with a cutout in the middle so the light can pass through. My light fixture is only 2 feet long, and the tank is 2.5.

7. slocal

slocal Doot!

I see no issue with it extending over the sides of the tank. Just be sure that the light is longer than the tank so it's weight on the plexi won't make it collapse into the tank.