3 easy ones

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by dangalla, Jan 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dangalla

dangalla Plankton

tank is a 55 standard with 260watt pc, about 3 years old

first one is some type of algae i believe, its kinda cool looking i guess so i dont really mind it as long as its not hurting anything
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the next one i am really not sure of, prolly algae
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the next one is the one i am worried about, its like some kind of tube thing that seems to be made out of sand, it has "hair" or tenticles around the top and if anything touches it it retracts into a ball thing. i have them all over the place and they are worse in the sand. there "tube" goes pretty deep into the sand also
    [​IMG]

thanks for the help, i really appreciate it alot

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hello and welcome to 3reef first of all!
    Now as for your pictures...the first one is a picture of macroalgae called gracilaria( very good for a tank!
    Second one is hard to tell as the picture is not the best. Maybe some type of porifera(sponge)
    third one is potentially a baby aiptasia anemone(nuisance anemone)

4. dangalla

dangalla Plankton

here is some more pics of the #2 it kinda looks like leaves
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and i cant really get a better close up of #3 but here is another pic of a group of them next to a small snail. the center seems to be greenish in color and the tube is clear with sand all covering it. i dont think its a baby cause they have been there for a while now. i dug one up yesterday and the clear sand covered tube was like two inches deep, but they are also on the rocks in my tank
    [​IMG]

5. dangalla

dangalla Plankton

and thank you, i have been lurking for a while and this site has some great info as well as what seems to be a really good comunity. i have had my tank for about 3 three years but lost intrest in it for a while and am really started to get back into it

6. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hello chap! Try shooting the photo being directly in front of your subject!

7. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I agree the first one looks like gracilaria. The second one looks like a mushroom, maybe. Third I would agree with coral reefer, aiptasia.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I wouldn't guess an aiptasia from this description. You probably have some type of tube or fan worms. Do their "heads" look feathery?

10. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

as far as i know aiptasia doesnt have a tube where as fan worms do. Intresting tho how you have managed to get so many in there without placing them in yourself.
    Do they retract themselves into the tube? if so they are deffo fan worms

11. dangalla

dangalla Plankton

when it retracts its not like any tube worm i have ever seen, the "center" does not go inside the "tube" it just kinda goes into a ball. also they dont seem to bother any of the hermit crabs or snails when they do touch them, they just retract. i will try to get some better pics tonight

edit:

if you click on this pic to make it larger you can see a bunch of them in the top left corner
    [​IMG]
    and in this pic when you click on it again to make it larger you can see it best
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  12. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm with coral reefer on this one. Last one looks like aiptasia.