3 day cycle?!?!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by xeddyboi420x, Dec 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

Are you serious? 10 dead fish?

Thanks for all the help guyz!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Sounds like my PetCo. Poor yellow tang was whitish yellow and fins were frayed badly. Dead stuff all over with a bleached white anemone in one tank floating around.

4. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

xeddyboi

looks like you got a good bit of advice from above. i'm about a year into this hobby, so still a newbie. really the best advice you can get is to read something good to get you started in the right direction.

I found "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner (amazon link:Amazon.com: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists (Microcosm/T.F.H. Professional): Robert M. Fenner, Christopher Turk, Matthew L. Wittenrich, Scott W. Michael, Alf Jacob Nilsen: Books) to be the most useful of all the beginner books, and i'll bet that most 3reefers would agree. Spending 50 bucks on the book will probably save you hundreds in lost livestock/useless equipment.

The book, and many others, will tell you to start big (55 or bigger), but I'm learning thru experience that with some guidance you can do a nano (your 10 gal for example) successfully. But get the book, and don't do anything with your tank until you get some reading in (tank'll do fine if you let it sit a little while).

Once you've got some basics down, check out Nano-Reef.com - The source for nano reef aquarium information for advice about nanos. They have some good basic articles for starters.

Good luck!

5. xeddyboi420x

oh sweet! Thanks for the tips!

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I see that you are having trouble with pH. To be honest I have only tested it maybe 4-5 times last year.
    Read this article.
    Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
    Go out and buy the following test kits: Calcium, Alkalinity/Kh and, magnesium. Also buy some of the following supplements: Some reef "buffer", Calcium and, magnesium.
    Blammo!!!!! Within 1-3weeks you will have those 3 parameters dialed in and learning how to control them as well.

7. xeddyboi420x

all those tests for 2 clowns and 7 lbs of live rock?

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

If you plan on a fish only get the buffer and be done. If you want the anemone you mention , absolutely.

10. xeddyboi420x

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yup....an anemone takes a lot of care and a really stable tank. I don't recommend an anemone in anything less than 30 or 40 gallons just because space. My condy in a 10g tank would be well fed. My fish would keep running into it.

Great book. This is the one I started with, before I found 3reef.

And an additional note on tests that you will need. Just to sum up.....

For a fish only tank: NH4, NO2, NO3 and pH. PLUS......
    If you add softies and LPS corals: Ca, Mg, dKh, PO4. PLUS......
    If you add SPS: K, Sr

There is an Iodine test that you can get. I have one. I have tested a few times to see where I stand. I do not plan on adding iodine to the system....something you should know, you can overdose iodine very easily. Be very careful.

API tests are a good starter test, but if you want some really good tests that are more accurate IMO, Salifert and Elos are two very good brands.