29 gallon biocube

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by anemonecrab, Nov 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anemonecrab

anemonecrab Flamingo Tongue

Well, now i really don't know what I want. Really, since this my first attempt at a saltwater tank, I want something that's easy to take care of, and will allow me to try a little of everything. So now the biocube fits one of these wants, but not the other. Here is a list of some of the things I want to keep (I know all of them arn't compatible, and I would never EVER be able to fit half of them in the biocube). All I really want is a anemone, clown fish, assortment of crabs and coral. Anyway, here is my "Dream list":

Fish: bicolor psedochromis, clown fish, auriga butterflyfish, firefish, yellow tang, yellowtail damsel fish

Inverts: Bubble tip anemone, dwarf zebra hermit crab, porcelin anemone crab, blue tuxedo pincushion urchin, scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, blood red fire shrimp, tree sponge, linckia sea star - blue

Coral: Button polyp, toadstool mushroom leather coral, blue mushroom, green striped mushroom, plate coral (short tentacle) Bubble coral, frogpawn coral (branched)

- Keeping a few of each would be great. (the blue tuxedo pincushion urchin is a must)

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, honestly, the biocube wouldnt be that easy to take care of. Keep in mind that the smaller the tank, the harder they are, actually.
    With your wish list, your going to need about a 75 gallon tank at minimum. And keep in mind you probably wont be able to keep a that butterfly with the corals/inverts.
    Also, be weary of the anemone. You shouldnt add one until your tank is at least 1 year old, and they need prestine water conditions and excellent lighting. They are one of the most challenging creatures to keep, and if it dies, it can take the whole tank with it.

1 person likes this.
  4. anemonecrab

Thanks for the info, it's definantly something i'm going to have to chew on for a while. :-/

5. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Even though it is difficult...it's do-able...don't get discouraged...it all depends on how dedicated you are to the hobby...

I'm starting my first tank with a 24 gallon cube...but just do tons of research...and ask questions here along the way...

Good luck! You'll figure things out...especially if you do some research prior to purchase...

1 person likes this.
  6. anemonecrab

thanks. Yes, I will definantly have to do some more thinking.
    One of the major reasons for thinking about getting a biocube is the fact that I dont have the money for a larger setup right now.

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I am sorry, but I do not buy into that the smaller they are the harder they are crap! I have had a 20 gallon long running for a year now, taken more corals out an fragged them and given them away because they either outgrew the tank or they are tons of them in the case of the mushrooms I put in there. I also had a 10 gallon running that was my favorite, but I tore it down and put everything into a larger tank, and to be honest with you that I regret doing....

Granted you have to pay attention to a smaller tank, if you don't things can and will go south in a hurry but if you are vigilant you should never have a problem. With a smaller tank I have found out that if you do water changes consistently, 3 gallons every Saturday and 5 once a month in my case you should NEVER have a problem. I don't run a skimmer and I run a HOB filter in which I change the pads every other week. I run T5 lights on the 20 long a 4 bulb 36 inch long fixture.

8. Click Here!

9. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

anemonecrab...

few thoughts opinions are just that so here is mine...

nanocubes are not a bad deal if you are looking for something on a budget and want to dangle your feet in the water and feel out the hobby. i have seen some that look great it is all about what you are lookign for. being on a budget this might be a good starter for you.

now with the wish list you have there is no way they would qwork in that size tank and those lights but some soft corals and a few fish to start would.

so keep looking and good luck to you.

1 person likes this.
  10. anemonecrab

Thanks for the input, I really, really appreciate it. I have been thinking, and I just might get the 'cube. Since I'm just starting in the saltwater hobby, and have a (relatively) low budget, I think that just starting with some soft corals, a few inverts and a couple of fish would be a great way to start in the hobby. If I truly like it enough (which I'm sure I will, seeing as I love keeping freshwater) once I get more money saved up, I can go and buy a bigger tank, and build that one up. But since this is my first attempt at the hobby, I think I will probably go with the biocube.

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Cool!
    I honestly wouldnt pay what he is asking though, unless it comes with a bunch of extra's you didnt mention. See if he will take 150

12. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Check your local craigslist...I got a GREAT deal on a new(never used) nano...just because a guy didn't have the funds to start up the hobby...You can find great deals there...

I too wanted the biocube...but for what it's worth...after seeing the different things it included...I passed...but I was going to get it at first...I think whatever you go with will be great...as long as you don't push the envelope with what you have...

ie: you wouldn't want to put a hard coral under extreme low light...or clam...

Just do what you can with what you got....as long as it makes your heart smile :)

Best of luck buddy...and when you do get your new tank...I cant wait to see your progress.