24w Compact Fluorescent Ballast Work - Need Help

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Froc3, Feb 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Well, i bought a ballast for a 24w compact fluorescent light, but can only find instructions as to how to wire the workhorse 3 ballast into the 14g biocube. I would like to keep the quick-connects. Was planning on just cutting off the connectors from the old ballast as using that wiring for the new ballast, but have not found out how to do it. Here is the ballast I have:
    DSCN0431.JPG

I'm not that familiar with how all the resistors and stuff inside the hood work so if someone has a wiring diagram for the biocube hood would be awesome as well. Knowing which colors correspond to which function in the hood would help. If someone could make a video that would be better ;) J/k, but some guidance would be nice.

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

bumping it back up for you froc

4. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

5. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Thanks guys! Yeah, I've watched that Video before but the problem is the wire colors are different and instead of 2 wires coming off the ballast, I've got 4.. I'm so lost.

6. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

What are the colors to the ones you see as extra? is it the two blue and two reads you are counting as four?

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Hey Buddy e/m me I'll walk you through the connections .

8. Click Here!

9. dbomb

dbomb Plankton

I think this is going to be first post ever anywhere, but I didnt find the answer and after a few trial and errors I was able to get it.

I have a biocube 14 and since all I heard were bad things about the stock ballast I decided to buy a different one. My lfs had a sunpaq 18w ballast.
    And just like you said it came with 1 blakc 1 while wire on one end and 2 blue and 2 red on the other.

Long story short. Connect both blue to one of the green wire from the biocube and the other 2 red together with the other green wire. boom! you are good to go.

GL to anytrying to find this, and let me know if it works for you.