240 leds

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by reefermadnes, Jul 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefermadnes

reefermadnes Bristle Worm

Alright so i was looking at rapid led and figured I would use 25 uv's, 10 red, and 10 green. So that means Iwould need 4 drivers. They are all going to be hooked up together meaning they will all dim at the same time. I was looking at the diagram on the web site and seen that drivers had ac in, does then mean they have built in powersupplys or do I need seperate ps's and if so how many. The reason for the addition, like i said i have ai super blues and they give off good light but i feel their lacking in the rest of the color spectrum. Im not adding it so much for the way my tank looks but what my corals will grow and color up the best under. My plan for the tank is a mix of lps and sps, so if you have any suggestions im all ears.

2. Click Here!

3. reefermadnes

I just thought of something that might change your answere of the last question. Is there a way to dim each set of lets seperatly so I can adjust the intensity of the red,greens, and uv individually then just have the controller dim every thing at once so they stay at the set intensity.

4. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Yes, but it depends on which controller you're using and how many output ports/channels it has. Typically each channel can control one set of lights, so if you had say 3 channels you can control reds on one, greens on the second and UV's on the third (assuming they're all wired separately). The DDC-01 unfortunately can't do that when running a daylight program, they all act as a single output channel.

5. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

What will you be using as your dimming source? You can wire the AC power on all 4 drivers to a single power cord, though all the drivers do need some DC Power (up to 10V, for the dimming circuit) as well. Typically this is supplied by our controller (ie. Apex), or via a 10V AC adapter.

6. reefermadnes

I have been doing some research and I will be using the apex controller, For the drivers I was going to use the eln-60-48d. The greens on one, the reds on another and 2 drivers for the uv's. For the reds would it be a good idea to use half of the 660's and the other half the cree reds. Everything i am looking at as far as led's is off of your site where i will b ordering from since you know your product the best and have been very help full. Thank you by the way.

7. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

No problem at all!

That combination would work, you'll want to run between 9-14 greens, 9-13 UV's, and 11-21 reds per driver (reds draw less voltage hence you need more on the driver to run properly). Mixing the reds is no problem, it's actually a good idea since you'll be covering both red spectrums (~630nm and also ~660nm).

8. Click Here!

9. reefermadnes

So if im only gonna run 2 reds and 2 greens per ai unit then I should get drivers one size smaller for those.

10. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

11. reefermadnes

If I decided not to use an apex controller and decided to use your DDC-01 PWM Controller but wanted to control the intensity of each color individualy would I put a potentiometer on the output of each driver, or would I just adjust intesity with the svr2 inside the driver and just have the ddc control all the drivers as 1 channel. Also is the ddc kinda like a timer that just acts like sunrise/sunset or would I still use a timer.

12. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

The DDC-01 uses a different driver than the Apex so make sure you get the right one (48D for Apex, 48P for DDC-01). After that it's easiest to adjust intensity via the SVR2 since the DDC-01 will control all output channels as a single channel when running one of the daylight programs. The DDC-01 would still need to be put on a timer, when the timer kicks on the program will start running (whichever program it last ran when it was shut off) and you can turn it off when the program finishes.

You wouldn't be able to connect a pot to the P drivers and use it along with a DDC-01.