240 Gal. Aquarium "BLEW"

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Gunrunner, Sep 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

A guy in our club just bought an oceanic 156 with starfire panes. I don't think they stopped using starfire. And AFAIK, oceanic is owned by Central Pet, the same company that owns AGA/ aqueon. AGA tanks are built right here just outside of Milwaukee.

Remember that starfire, or similar low iron glass is not as strong as standard plate glass, so trying to compare a starfire glass tank's thickness to a std plate glass tank won't quite be an apples to apples thing. Typically when using low iron glass, you go to the next size thicker to compensate for the lower strength of the starfire.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, I measured mine last night. My 200 long is 3/4". Have no idea on what brand it is though (bought used).
    I have seen plenty of tanks use over 1" thick glass. Just go to a public aquarium ;) MBA's open ocean tank features 1' thick glass panels ;)

4. photo-guy

photo-guy Flamingo Tongue

PLEASE show us a picture of your tank glass next to a ruler! I would get a kick out of seeing that it's over an inch thick!

1 person likes this.
  5. Gunrunner

Gunrunner Plankton

Yeah, I trust some of my "Children" as far as I can throw them!

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I still think the glass was one size too thin for the application, if it was only 1/2" thick.

But, you never know.....

1 person likes this.
  7. Gunrunner

Gunrunner Plankton

The quote I just received from Deep Sea Aquatics is for 3/4" glass!

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Hey folks. Let's all remember that we enjoy the same hobby and we're here to help each other. Arguments over things that don't help the original poster aren't needed. Thanks

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

This thread got me curious... would the strength needs (thickness) of the glass be different between saltwater and freshwater given the heavier weight of saltwater?

And if I'm at all correct (no idea), would that then make the thickness OK seeing as how this was a freshwater tank? (Well, obviously it wasn't sufficient, but, ya know, whatever).

Not that I've seen tanks for sale that are "freshwater only" or "rated for saltwater" or whatever... just curious.

1 person likes this.
  11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

That would make sense, considering AGA 6 foot 180 gallon tanks use 9/16" glass (not 1"+ LOL) and that is a bit on the heavy side. But, I would rather have extra strength than the issue you have run into.

Now did you have carpeting or anything get ruined from your tank blowout?

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

peredhil, I guess a SW tank would see more stress from the water alone, since the water has salt in it, while fresh does not. But that is minimal.

Now, all the rocks that we put in our reef tanks should add more weight, I think.

If anything, since this was a FW tank, he would have been better off than a reef, maybe.