240 Gal. Aquarium "BLEW"

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Gunrunner, Sep 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Take this for what its worth, it was from my LFS, but he seems pretty on top of things.

Oceanic sold out to another company, so now Oceanic is owned by someone else. Apparently, Deep Sea Aquatics are the same folk that did Oceanic before.

The LFS complained to his wholesaler that the glass was not starphire, where he was then informed Starphire is no longer used in Oceanic tanks. Even though they still make quality tanks.

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

How thick is the glass on that tank?

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Oceanic and AGA (now called Aqueon) are both owned by Central Pet. This isn't a new thing though. They've owned them for quite some time.

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

your 100% percent wrong here again lol its over an inch thick

6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

a 180 gallon aga tank isnt an inch thick let alone over an inch thick. my bosses 375 is 3/4", besides that i had a 180 aga, me and my friend carried it down my basement by ourselves. My 250 marineland is 1/2" glass, and weighed close to 450lbs empty. A 180 gallon tank with 1" + thick glass would take a crane to lift.

Dennis

2 people like this.
  7. FishAce

FishAce Astrea Snail

That's awful but if your wastewater plant is like the one I work in someone probably did it and won't own up to it.

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Completely off topic..but that's a good idea to show yall are doin your jobs!

Sorry about the tank!

Ivan

10. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

I have never even seen glass that is thicker then 3/4 inch for an aquarium, let alone over 1 inch. Ocean might have it mixed up with acrylic, as bigger tanks using 1 inch or thicker acrylic is pretty common..

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

My 50 gallon show uses 1/2" glass. When did they stop using starfire glass? My tank is over 5 years old.

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Like I stated, if you have a std AGA or similar std built tank, your glass will not be over an inch thick.

aga 180's are 9/16" thick.

So, unless you have a non standard 180, then maybe you need to re measure.

btw, it is "you're" not "your" in this context that you typed.

fwiw, according to the glass chart I posted before, and it seems to be spot on, a 3/8" glass on a 6 foot x 24" tall tank (180g) is sufficient, but the 1/2" glass has a higher safety factor. So if AGA uses 9/16" glass, that is way overkill. No harm in that, and that may be why or how aga can have a nice warranty. The only downside to thicker glass, is needing more help to move it, more cost, and possibly more support needed under floor if not on a solid surface.

If you want to call me 100% wrong, then you will need to back it up.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    1 person likes this.