24 hour light on coral?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by 10acrewoods, Dec 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Can't say I know for sure on this one....but I know my corals look 'tired' by the end of the day. It is as if they want to shut down, but the actinics keep them up. My frogspawn is most obvious. Very open and beautiful in the morning and early afternoon, it looks confused and half-way shut down into the evening. My mushroom leather is the same way.

2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Funny my frogspawn stays up almost all night. I have moon lights that stay on in my tank and it seems to be doing fine, it even is growing new buds. I know alot of my other coral likes to shut down or wake up persay.

4. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

that is false :) every plant needs to have a dark cycle. LOTS of plants can be placed under 24/7 light but that does not mean they are going to be healthy. Do the research, plants open stomatas at dark and beleave it or not this is when most CO2 is comsumed. The reason people choose to go 24/7 lights is merely to force the plant to grow. Kinda like someone whipping a slave 24 hours a day to do work for you. That slave would be a lot stronger and have a better life than one that was force to so work all day long. People forget Plants JOB is to make energy, without rest you too would get tired and put out crappy work.

So yes Plants can "Live" in 24 hour light. It does not mean they like it or are a healthy plant.