24 Gal Aquapod Needs Help!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jen.g, Jun 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jen.g

jen.g Plankton

Hello, I could use some help with my AP 24 gal saltwater tank. After having problems with bristol worms from the live rock, I recently had it all cleaned out, sterilized and restarted about 4 months ago. I used salt water from the aquarium shop so it was all ready for fish. I didn't put any live rock only artifical rock into the tank this time, sand on the bottom, and a few fish. I have bio balls, 2 sponges and a bag of carbon (no ceramic media). My problem is the water does not stay nice and clear, it seems to be a little cloudy and the worst part is there is constant orangeish slime or algae on glass and rocks (seems like I have red tide). I thought maybe the tank was too hot and hardly even turn on the bright light, because that seems to make it worse. The temp is around 82-84 always. I would love any advise you can give.---- I also set up an old tank the same day with just a penguin filter, no heater, no special lights and the same amount of fish, and have no problems with that tank, I do 1/2 tank monthly water changes and feed the fish in both tanks exactly the same. So what am I doing wrong with my Aquapod

2. Click Here!

3. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

First bristle worms are not a problem, they are good things to have.

What is happening right now is you have some cyano bacteria growing in your tank and it sounds like an algae bloom. Are you feeding the tank? if so, stop for a couple of days and see what happens.

Temp, you should try to get it down to about 80 to 82 and that will help as well.

Kim

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

If you set up the tank that day using aquarium water wouldnt make it ready for fish. Your tank needs time specially with dead rock to establish bacteria. I would take the fish back and let it cycle before adding any. You algea bloom is probably early signs of the tank beginning its cycle.

5. OverThinker

OverThinker Skunk Shrimp

All my tanks are around 76-78 degrees all the time.