210g "Things with Stings" Tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Renee@LionfishLair, Jul 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The tank cannot be removed because it sits in the stand. I would have to take the stand apart and that's something I built with my Pops.... never gonna happen. It's very special to me because of that. All the rockwork is attached to each other with epoxy and rods and covers all the plumbing. There are returns that run across the bottom that you can't see. Basically, when we got it like we wanted it, I glued that baby up tight. It took 4 guys to lift this tank when it was empty. It's 3/4" acrylic and at 210g, that weighs a ton (not literally), but that's still moot in light of how the tank sits.

K, I'm going to try a little "Renee Artistry". Don't laugh.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

I can buy extensions, so it can be as long as I want it to be.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

ohhhh. ok I just read back on the stand...........

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Ya, here's my fanciness for ya.

This is the rectangle I will cut out allowing access to the joist. I'll attach wood to the joist so the lights can be centered. That the brown line. Then I can run the cords through there (gray line) and when it get to the wall, pop it outside. It'll run down along the house outside and pop back in so it goes directly under the stand.

I'll cover the large hole I made with a sheet of wood and make it look like it was designed to look like that. :) Better idea? Those are things I can actually do myself.

[​IMG]

We'll build a scaffolding over the tank to work on the ceiling. A protective box, if you will.

6. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Is there space above the ceiling to get into ?
    I am lifting floor boards above the tank and working from upstairs.
    I don't know if there is any chance of this with your house ?

7. Renee@LionfishLair

We have hardwood floors right above it

8. Click Here!

9. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

There's a crawl space above the tank, but no access to it (we have a two story house), otherwise I could go up into the crawl space and do the job.

The ceiling isn't going to be too tuff, as the joists do run in the "correct" direction for pulling wires, they're just "off-center" in relation to the tank. I dunno about pulling wires thru the external wall tho, as (1) I suck at it, and (2) Who knows how many fireblocks there are?

10. Renee@LionfishLair

I'm going to pull the wires outside of the house and then back in through the the wall under the stand.

Oh ya, I forgot to tell ya, I got new plans. This will work and we won't need to get anyone in.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

12. Renee@LionfishLair

I was looking at the neighbors house and saw they have what looks like a telephone wire coming right out of their bedroom area and down to the ground. Guess they didn't want to pull wires through the wall either.

Muhahahahha! More holes in the outside wall.