210 reef - taking it slow

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by scajeo, Dec 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

2. Click Here!

3. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Temp 77.6
    Salinity 1.026
    pH 8.02
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    dKh 9.8
    Ca 380
    Mg 1400
    Nitrite 0

Ca has been dropping slowly over the last 4 weeks from 420 to now 380.

I have about 30 heads of zoas
    1 frag hydrophora
    1 frag frogspawn
    1 frag gorgonia

LFS tells me to not worry about dosing yet but I believe it should be above 400. Anyone with a suggestion?

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I like kalk drip to keep calcium stable.

5. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Thnx OFK. I have it here but have been waiting to start dosing. With so little coral I didn't know but will start now.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I see absolutely no reason to start dosing now. Your values are fine, well within normal range.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Your current coral load is not enough to make a significant impact. Worry more about routine water changes at this point. I would not recommend a kalk drip at this stage, I am pretty sure Mindy was saying that is what she does rather then encouraging you do start kalk.

Do not chase numbers. Trust me you'll need to consider dosing soon enough (months down the line). Less is often more in newer set-ups, just sit back and enjoy and resist the urge to fiddle, I know it's hard but you'll have a healthier tank.

If your LFS is not pushing dosing on your then 1. The employee actually has some good experience in the hobby and 2. LFS tend to want to make a sale regardless of the true need, so I would consider their advice solid at this point.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    DSC reef likes this.
  7. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I've got a pretty good LFS. The owner is pretty good with his suggestions but I catch him time to time wanting to run the business instead of watching out for my needs. Although rare it does happen time to time. His employee is fantastic. Tim cares about the hobby and wants nothing but success. I value his comments greatly.

Thank you Corailline, I appreciate the link and have marked it for reading.
    Everyone here has been great and has offered nothing but great advice.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Tank is looking good. Keep up the great work you're doing.

10. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Thnx Bruh.. This weekend I'm building the saltwater station, time permitting that is.

I'm searching for a rainbow rose bubble tip nem, can anyone suggest a good site to buy from?
    Also, looking for a wysiwyg clownfish site that I can buy from. My wife wants to pick out an exact design and not just a specific species.

11. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Cherry corals and gonzo coral are good places for nems. Keep an eye out for a Colorado sunburst if you really want to dazzle or a lemon drop. I got my CRS from gonzo at macna this year. It's ridiculous...sadly so is the price. I rationalized that if it ever clones I'll make most of my money back. :D

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

would love to see a picture of that nem mike.

I would err on the side of Corailline's advice - I was thinking you could start dripping kalk as a method to maintain calcium but she is way more knowledgeable in terms of calcium consumption and what is a normal range :)