210 reef - taking it slow

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by scajeo, Dec 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I could be totally wrong on that :) I remember reading something about the "oils" needing to expended as part of the break in? again, not sure about that. I do know that it takes a while to break in though, mine did the same things for a few days and then stopped

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

It can definitely take a new skimmer a while to break-in before it stops producing micro-bubbles. I would just be patient at this point as mentioned.

4. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

LOL.. but it's so hard to be patient. I want I want I want. :)

What's everyone's thoughts about beginning to add livestock to the tank? Should I wait until the micro-bubbles are cleared out of the tank or is it safe to begin to add whatever I want to it?

5. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Well, had the LFS guy out and he concurs. The skimmer needs a chance to break in...... Hate all those bubbles in the tank!
    My hat's off to you OFK and Marshall

On a brighter note........:)
    We replaced the one return elbow and re-drilled it and the large bubbles are gone.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good news on the big bubbles!

7. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I am not sure how long you have been running, but so long as your ammonia and Nitrites are both 0 you should be fine with adding some livestock, just take it slow so the biological filtration can adjust to keep up with the bioload. I noticed you mentioned an anemone, they require stability and most say to wait a year and others will say different on that. I have no experience with anems at this point, unfortunately, but 2 clowns is a good starting point for sure. The micro bubbles will have no effect on the fish.

8. Click Here!

9. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Thnx for the reply md. I want to get the anem in the tank soon so it has some time to find a home before I start adding my corals. The wife wants a pair of Picasso clowns or a pair of snowflakes and I've always loved the symbiotic relationship they have. I can't afford to wait a year before I add the anem or I'll have a bare tank forever. :(

10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I know the feeling. I am not saying not you have to wait a year. They just need clean stable water and if you can provide that then you should be good.

Av8Bluewater likes this.
  11. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Water params are perfect. The tanks only been running for a month I figure maybe wait a couple more weeks just to be on the safe side before I ick one up.

12. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I figured it's been a little bit since I've posted any updates. I really haven't done much since the initial stock in December but wanted to add a couple new pictures. I'm currently working on a saltwater mixing station basing it off of a design by Reefbuilder. I'll post pictures when I start the build on it.

First params.
    sg 1.025
    temp. 77.8
    pH 8.08
    Ca 400
    dkh 10.04
    Mg 1280
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    Phosphate .1
    Blueberry Gorgonian
    IMG_0155.JPG
    Diamond Watchman Goby
    IMG_0148.JPG
    Frogspawn
    IMG_0144.JPG
    Zoanthids - unidentified
    IMG_0140.JPG
    Cardinal
    IMG_0139.JPG
    Blue Tang - Currently battling ich - I'm dosing Coral Vital along with soaking food in Garlic to help build up it's immune system.
    IMG_0133.JPG
    Red Ruby Dragonet
    IMG_0132.JPG
    Front In wall FTS. Viewable both sides.
    IMG_0151.JPG
    In wall FTS back side view.
    IMG_0154.JPG

Camera shy are the Royal Gramma and Sexy Shrimp.