20gal clown tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by armison89, May 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

if you were considerate of your pets you would not put them thru the hell of being in an un- established tank. also putting 6 tangs in a 165 gallon tank is entirely inhumane

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

I will not argue with you in the O/P's thread- it is wrong, so I have sent you a PM with my thought's.

To the O/P- when asking advice, ask if the poster giving such advice has any actual experience with your question- it will serve you well in the future.

I am sorry, your posting got hi jacked.

Follow what I wrote, you will do just fine.

4. alpha_03

Here is what can be done- easily, safely and with a very happy reef- this is only three of my tangs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

just letting you know 6 months to a year is an estimate, its not like poof your tank is suddenly ready to have a nem at 6 months or a year. that time period is for YOU TO UNDERSTAND HOW YOUR TANK WORKS AND TO GET ALL PARAMETERS IN CHECK. by all means some people can do it in like 3 months, but it always better to be safe then sorry. the big motto here is "go slow and let it grow". theres a reason for that. incase you didnt know a dying nem can wipe out a tank that size. im sure you've done your research, but nems are very sensitive to parameter changes, especially during that time it needs to get settled, but once through that as alpha 03 shows they can be VERY hardy.

P.S. sorry for jacking your thread, nems can be a VERY heated debate as you can see.

6. alpha_03

And this is how I took 3 tanks of various ages and made them one: I built all of this except the tank- its a tencore acrylic.

[​IMG]

I did this using the existing water from all the tanks then added pure RO/DI that I let settle for 1 week in two typical plastic garbage cans with I/O salt and a few bubble stones at 1.022 SG, this tank is now 12 yrs old.

I no longer use the canopy- to much heat.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

perfect example of how an EXPERIENCED reef keeper can get a nem pretty soon, the water is from an established tank, and they know what they are doing with the parameters and the maintanence of the tank

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Nems do need stability, there is no magic time. Longer is safer certainly, I do think 6 months or more is a good idea for a number of reasons, especially if you have not had experience with them. However, that dosn't mean it can't be done in less time. The more important part is understanding reef chemistry, microbiology and and other environmental factors sufficiently to meet the nems needs. Also, it's important to realize once you add a nem, it owns your tank. It will more where it wants and do what it wants. If you try to force it to do something else, you'll be a lot less successful.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

a year is the said time just so your sure, no way it could be 3 months but 6 months maybe. just to play safe tho usually a year is suggested

11. alpha_03

Good advice. In my experience the toughest critters are usually the one's you dont expect to be- Anemone's are very tough critters. Things to avoid when starting out would be SPS and clams, both are far more difficult to care for- properly. If I was to start a new tank today, for the first 3 months it would be live rock and fish only. Mean while, I would spend my money on lighting and equipment that would help me keep my future reef (the one I want to eventually build) in a correct manner. Consider a reef controller and/or a HQ test kit. This will also teach you how a SW tank works, this- so when you do decide to get into a more advanced reef set up you know how to go about doing it, from this, your existing set up will allow you to do such.