20 watt LED floodlight good for corals?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by adbroom32, Dec 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

chk my other vids too

2. Click Here!

3. ledaqualights

ledaqualights 3reef Sponsor

What are these 30w LED's like in terms of heat output?

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

6. Coasterofluv

Coasterofluv Fire Worm

JMO but generic no name lights on Ebay are crappy.
    I bought my no name skimmer on Ebay and it's crappy.
    My coralife lunar aqualights to sustain corals in my 30g were $250 but after only a few weeks on a 2 month old tank I'm already seeing lots of green coralline and featherdusters where there was previously none. It's just a corner you cant cut. Take a deep breath, brace yourself and hand over the card haha.

7. roblox84

roblox84 Bristle Worm

That's some fast growth. I've had my tank up for about 3 or 4 months and have yet to see any coraline growth. Do you dose magnesium? I checked my mag levels for the first time yesterday and it was at 1200, I wonder if that's what was inhibiting the growth of coraline.

8. Click Here!

9. ledaqualights

ledaqualights 3reef Sponsor

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  10. amdphenomx4

amdphenomx4 Plankton

You should do a teardown of the light to see what it consists of. What they are really selling is a 20W floodlight and I see no reason to suspect lack of heat sink was an issue, especially if it is aluminum like the Amazon version. I think the back is finned as well. Personally, I suspect it was one of the few mistakes in production that wasn't caught. Yes, I agree that US based companies such as Ecotech have higher standards but I don't believe this is something that will happen very often. This could happen with any light, and as such, flammable materials should be kept away from any light source.

It may have been a badly designed light or it may have been a production issue. I don't suspect such a popular, and extremely widely used light to be badly designed, as it is literally everywhere on the internet for purchase. I would hope to see you as the thread creator to do a bit of research and let us see the inside of the light.

The light is really terrible though for output and would likely only be enough for a tank of 10 gallons to keep most corals, and larger tanks without much coral ability. I do not suggest people buy floodlights for coral though they are attractive options for multichip enclosures.

It is unfortunate what happened with the lamp at the school however, and I hope the repairs are done swiftly and the school recovers.

11. adbroom32

adbroom32 Astrea Snail

i hope something like that doesnt happen to mine. it does grow corals well tho. it was actually too much light for my zoas.

12. kathy82

kathy82 Plankton

I'm using 1 50w and 2 20w LED flood lights for my big tank and for each of my 55 gallon tanks I'm using 2 10w's. I have been running them for about 4 months and I haven't had any trouble. If you want it bright for a 180 gallon tank I would use 2 or 3 20w lights or the equivalent wattage in 10 watts. Here is a link to a gallery I made showing several different pictures of different LED Flood Lights Watts by them selves.