20 watt LED floodlight good for corals?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by adbroom32, Dec 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adbroom32

adbroom32 Astrea Snail

only thing i dont have a test kit for is mag. ghp= 585 in 20 gallon. lights: blues on @ 9, whites @ 10. whites off @7, then blues off @ 8. phos= < .1 ppm.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Everything seems fine except for the Alk. It is really, really high and likely your culprit. I would bring the flow up to about 700, but it's not necessary. If you ever get SPS, you will want to get the flow up to around 1,000.

4. adbroom32

adbroom32 Astrea Snail

ha im def. not ready for sps. lol yea i have another powerhead, but i was keeping a low flow current for the acclimation of the almost dead torch. how can i lower alk?

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

With numbers that high, I would do water changes. It's without a doubt the cause of your issues. Did you dose anything to get it that high?

Scroll down to " Zone 3" and read away:

Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems &mdash; Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

6. adbroom32

adbroom32 Astrea Snail

7. roblox84

roblox84 Bristle Worm

I use three 30 watt LEDs supplemented with 3 watt royal blue leds over my 125 and it grows sps very nicely. The 30 watters are also 14k, probably the same as what's in this fixture but even though it's a nice bright white color I still wouldn't use them without actinic supplementation. For the price they cost you could buy it and try it out and if you don't like it just buy the expensive premade units.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would stop dosing altogether until you drop your alk. to 175 or so. Until your alk. starts to drop from coral consumption (mainly large SPS systems), there is no need to dose. Water changes will keep every parameter in check.

What is your pH?

10. adbroom32

adbroom32 Astrea Snail

ph is 8.2. i dont have any corals to consume the alk so i guess water changes it is.

11. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

12. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly