20 Gallon Zoanthid Garden Build - Questions

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by andywyeth07, Jul 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

So I am in the process of taking down my 110 gallon tank that has been set up for a little over a year. I'm going to set up a 20 gallon tank and create a zoanthid garden. I'm taking the 110 down because we want to get our house ready to try to sell.

I have a quick question, I ordered new dry rock from BRS and some new "live" sand. I don't want to put any live rock out of my 110 because I have a horrible hydroid problem, that is one reason i'm taking the tank down. If I set the tank up and use water out of my established tank, will I have a cycle? I'm trying to get this new tank up and running to get the clownfish out of my old tank into my new tank.

I will post details of my build later.

2. Click Here!

3. Thor

Thor Coral Banded Shrimp

Yes, you will have a cycle. Much of the bacteria that serve as your biological filtration inhabits your rocks. You may get some boost from "live" sand and using water from your current system, it will only be a slight boost and not enough to prevent a cycle.

I would recommend you cycle your new rock prior to starting up the aquarium--put it in a bucket or trashcan with some saltwater, heater, and a pump to circulate water. Let it cycle like you would a tank. Once the cycle is done, put the rock in your new tank, use some Dr. Tim's One and Only, and then you should be safe to add your clown.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm thinking you're still needing to have to have the tank cycle - the biological filter is primarily in the rock, not the water. The live sand should help a little bit. I might add a couple of "cleaner" pieces of your existing live rock to the tank and that should kick start and possibly minimize cycle time.

5. oldfishkeeper

wow, I think Thor and I hit post reply one or two seconds apart :)

6. Thor

Thor Coral Banded Shrimp

Just great minds moving in the same direction OFK! :cool:

Billme likes this.
  7. oldfishkeeper

8. Click Here!

9. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

Thanks for the help! I was hoping there wouldn't be a cycle so I could set up the new tank and transfer everything over this weekend. In that case, I will make up a water change and change enough water so I can put the old water in my new tank. I will go buy a piece of live rock to help the cycle as I don't want to risk putting some of mine in the new tank and getting hydroids again.

10. oldfishkeeper

your idea for the tank sounds cool!