20 gallon SPS Tank Stand build.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Swim, Jul 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

Its gonna be sick dude! And congrats on the degree! What did you major in, if you dont mind me asking?

2. Click Here!

3. Swim

Swim Astrea Snail

Clipperstown- Towson U. has a program called MB3. Its almost like a triple major, I received training in biochemistry, molecular biology, and bioinformatics. My concentration was in molecular biology.

Update on the tank with pictures this time:

The door and hood here finally cut this afternoon and will be banded in the morning. Tomorrow I am test mounting all the hinges and handles and then will begin staining and sealing the wood.

I received my order from Steve's LEDs. I am very impressed with the set up and the lights look great. I think I will definitely be ordering his controller the coming week.

Tonight I also went to That Pet Place, That Fish Place ( I go here 2x a month) in Lancaster, PA. The best fish store I have ever been to. I found two residents for my tank. A ORA Snowflake Clown, and a Misbar Black Ocellaris. The snowflake is pretty big with a very nice design. I will try to get better pictures tomorrow when they are less stressed.

Picture 3 shows where I put the temporary dimmer knobs until I get the controller.
    Picture 4 shows the shelf setup for the PSU and drivers for the LEDs.

Attached Files:

4. Swim

Swim Astrea Snail

Pictures of the misbar and snow... Will attempt to get better pictures tomorrow

The black fish is the salt water molley I used to cycle the tank. It served its job but Im not sure If I will get rid of it yet. It lived out of two that i got. Feel bad to get rid of it

Attached Files:

5. Swim

Swim Astrea Snail

Update 8/10

Lastnight, I finished puttying the holes from the nails. We premounted the hinges and the LED lighting.

Tonight we got around to staining and beginning to apply the sealant. We went with a dark mahogany stain. It looks great. Pictures show it being more black in color. It is more of a deep red/brown.

I think the stand will finally be finished tomorrow. If it is, I will be moving the tank over to the stand on Monday ideally. It's exciting to see the end in sight but I still have plans to continue to upgrade the system. Next goal is a gravity fed ATO.

Attached Files:

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Beautiful clowns, and the stand is coming out very nice! I would leave the Molly. They are actually good for a reef tank IMO, as they will pick at all kinds of algae all day long. Plus they have good personalities :)

7. Swim

Swim Astrea Snail

Stained Stand

Two days ago I was able to get the stand stained and sealed. The stain was a mahogany finish and is more red than black than seen in the pictures.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Swim

Swim Astrea Snail

Stand is 99% finished!!

So last night was the big move. The stand was put in my bedroom and tank and sump installed. I happened to be at That Pet Place in Lancaster, PA and found a Aqueon sump in the discount room that someone returned. Original price:$289. I managed to talk them down from $180 to $150. I thought it was a chance not to pass up since my previous sump was just a second 20gal tank.

Attached Files:

10. zack20g

zack20g Fire Worm

11. Swim

Swim Astrea Snail

So the drivers and PSU are well hidden on the top shelf under the canopy. I am currently welding two pieces of acrylic glass to cover the PSU and driver from any possible dripping. The wires were heat shrunk today so they look much better than the picture.

Attached Files: