20 gal sump attempt

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Flazky, Jan 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

Hello. I am making a sump with this design and was wondering if it will work as I am limited to three glass panels....-.-; Also I wanted the return and intake on the same side because the little plastic canopy has 2 openings that are in those spots. The red line is a glass panel. I just wanted to make the setup less confusing.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. wayne44

wayne44 Astrea Snail

I used Rubbermaid $30 tops 54 gal with a 12 gal tub inside it that houses my skimmer....very simple works great no need for baffles

4. Giannis86

Giannis86 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Personally i like your sump layout however i have some ideas

Here is a quick diagram i made for you. It has more area for sump & refugium by sortening the return side and replacing the intake chamber with a PVC pipe (filed with LR to reduce noise). Then you can use the 3rd panel to create 2 baffles before the return chamber to reduce microbubbles

The view is from the top

Attached Files:

5. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

Your return section needs to have enough volume to accommodate some evaporation and also on startup to get the overflow going.

If there is not enough volume the return section will run dry and possibly ruin your pump.

Some dimensions would be helpful as you return section looks rather small in the drawings ...

6. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I made a 20 gollon refusium out of a 20 gallon long fish tank for $30. I have a 90 gallon bow front reef.

7. jerseyreefer

jerseyreefer Bristle Worm

pjracer, I would like to see your refusium. I also purchased a 20 long for my 90.

8. Click Here!

9. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

It works great for my application

Attached Files: