2 year old nitrates and nitrites very high!?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by jsreef218, Jan 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jsreef218

jsreef218 Bristle Worm

I woke up this morning and my tank was very cloudy, almost like when i first set it up. Ive never seen something like this before. So i did a 5 gallon water change and tested my levels and still sky high! I just added some nitrifying bacteria to help with the process and plan to do another water change asap in the morning. Has anyone else experienced this? I dont want to lose anything, and almost all my corals except my clams and mini maxis were closed up for most of the day. Last night before i went to sleep the tank looked incredible, now today looks like hell :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

Sounds like a bacteria/ algae bloom. Have you changed anything recently? Salt, water source, new food, loss of fish?

4. jsreef218

jsreef218 Bristle Worm

Thats the thing that gets me, i havent changed a thing! I made a mistake yesterday when i changed my filter sock in my sump i rang out the sock in the sump. Could this have some type of negative effect? And i didnt strain out too much water just enough so it wasn't dripping everywhere.

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

How long has the tank been running and what are your present parameters?

6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Astrea Snail

IF something died in the tank, it would have produced a huge amount of ammonia which actually gets processed very quickly but it takes much longer for your nitrite to nitrate bacteria to grow and your nitrate to nitrogen bacteria is even much slower. That's when I would expect a big nitrite and nitrate spike.

It sounds like you had an ammonia spike from something.

7. jsreef218

jsreef218 Bristle Worm

Well the tank is 2 years old as the title says, and i didn't lose anything and nothing had changed as i already started, my ammonia is low maybe <10, but my nitrates and nitrites are sky high, and my skimmer is working on overdrive.. I can't seem to figure out what it is that is causing this..

8. Click Here!

9. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Astrea Snail

I don't know, sounds like something died or is dying or you disturbed something in the sand bed? Otherwise your nitrifying bacteria died off.

10. jsreef218

jsreef218 Bristle Worm

The fish i have are always moving my sand bed around, maybe that got stirred up too much? How would the bacteria all of a sudden die like that? As of this morning the lights are still off and i plan to do a 10 gallon waterchange again to help remove the nitrates.

11. jsreef218

jsreef218 Bristle Worm

And my ammonia is <1.0 btw. . Not 10, that would be insane!

12. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

With ammonia, any testable amount is a serious problem.