2 part question (new ? post #8)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by skurious, Jan 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I just ordered a 2 part starter kit from BRS and should be getting it today. It mixes up at a gallon for the calcium supp. and a gallon for the alk supp.. Now my tank isnt very large by any means and honestly probably wont be using it very often ( havent started testing yet).

So im wondering how long the solutions will keep if I mix them up and end up not using them often. Would i just need to shake well before use and store in a cool dry place?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

one in solution and caped they last a LONG time. I just made up a new batch of alk i had from 2010

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I got the starter kit which comes with the 1 gallon jugs with a squirt top. would that be okay you think?

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

That will be fine. They will last at least a year or more. And once they are mixed they become clear, and are saturated, so unless you see some chunks settled at the bottom you shouldnt have to shake them up.

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Awesome, thanks. Im pretty excited to finally have real dosing supplements.

7. jgraz

jgraz Astrea Snail

The only time I've seen one come out of solution is the Alk and that was when it got super cold and crystallized. Once it warmed it was fine again. Oh and don't be surprised if the pump poop the bed in a few days. I had two one lasted a week the other went a few days later.

As for how often you will use it. Just test your system, add enough of each part to bring your levels to your desired point. Then test the next day and see how much lower it is. Over the next week or so you will figure the amount you need to add daily to keep it from falling off.

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Awesome, thanks.

10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Okay, more questions. Im still wrapping my head around this whole dosing thing. here is what ive done so far.

I tested and got my levels that were in my tank prior to any dosing and used the BRS calculator and dosed to the levels recommended by BRS to start with, so I'm shooting for 420 Calcium, 9 DKH, and 1350 Mag. After that, I have been dosing 50 ml per day of each and started out doing them both around the same time but have switch to Calcium in the morning right before lights on and ALK about 30 minutes after lights out.

Ive read that this is the best way to dose the two part solutions and that I should dose daily for and test after 3 days or more to avoid "chasing numbers" So im probably going to test tonight or tomorrow and adjust my daily dosing depending on what my levels come out at. But since in dosing calcium in the A.M. and ALK in the P.M whats the best time to test my water?

Also, does it sound like im on the right track?

Thanks

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

12. ccreviston74

ccreviston74 Astrea Snail

Dose carefully to bring your numbers up to where you want them,making sure they are ionically balanced, then wait 4 days. Measure the consumption, calculate the dose to bring you back up, divide by 4, and that's your starting dose. Now dose again to get your numbers up to your target numbers, and start your daily dose the next day. Measure every few days, and make small corrections. Takes a few weeks for everything to stabilize and get it dialed in. Magnesium will likely be a weekly or monthly dose, as it seems to be consumed slowly.

Calc and mag are pretty safe to dose, but with alkalinity, be careful not to cause your pH to swing more than 0.15-0.2 per day. Here's a calculator that will help:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

FYI, you're best to do all your testing and dosing at the same time each day, preferably in the morning when the lights have been out for a while, and pH is at it's lowest. Dose Alk first, then calc at least 5 minutes later. I do Alk first thing in the morning, eat breakfast, then dose calc.