2 part dosing vs. Reactors

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tatted4ever, Oct 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

This $$$ spent has opened my eyes to a reactor. At the same time it has shed light on other mfg that provide a better value in my ca and alk. Next round Im goona try BRS and see how I like it.

I do need some more pros vs cons and research before I cross the line and back up a reactor.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

This was a post from another thread that was talking about polyp extension. Yet he went into what he has done for alk/ca and I thought it was interesting to this conversation. He has a 180g SPS/LPS tank.

"...Let me tell you a bit about my system. It's a 180 gallon mixed reef with about 50% SPS. I run a reeflo orca 250, use 1/2 cup ROX carbon passively in the sump and change it every 2 weeks, grow chaeto in the sump, run a large algea turf scrubber, and do weekly water changes with roughly 30 gallons at each change. I have an average bioload and don't feed heavily. I feed some sort of zooplankton 3-4 times a week (DT's oyster eggs, brightwell zooplankton, roti feast, etc....) I also feed live phyto every other day - about 300-400 ml. Over the past year I've tried various means of alk/ca supplementation to see what yeilded the best growth, PE, and coloration. I assumed I wouldn't find much difference in those factors based on my means of supplementation (and I didn't) but I did learn a great deal about how different supplementation schemes can make a system more stable. I ran a ca reactor for about 8-9 months and everything seemed fine except the pH ran low. After several modifications to improve pH I decided to shut down the reactor and try kalk for a while. While dosing kalk I had an alk spike then a drop causing the loss of two large colonies and general stress to everything. That certainly made me appreciate the stability a ca reactor provides. After the trouble with kalk dosing I moved to what I'm using now which is two part dosing using soda ash as the alk supplement for increased pH values. With this supplementation scheme I have as good of stability as the ca reactor and the elevated pH values like with the kalk dosing. I'm sure if I would have worked at managing dosing more steadily I could have made the kalk dosing work just fine, but for now I'm sold on two part dosing...."

The thread if you are interested in the rest.
    Suggestions for improving SPS polyp extension - Reef Central Online Community

1 person likes this.
  4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

5. tatted4ever

any notice this in the 3reef community highlights on the homepage?

wonder if that is a random thing

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

not random Tatted4ever
    Matt felt this was a very good thread, and thats why its highlighted.

Steve

1 person likes this.
  7. tatted4ever

Cool....

I know Peredhil mentioned this thread too...

Thanks... Hope others pick up good info from it like I did.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

Well I decided after having trouble with low pH to go with the BRS recipe 1 for two part dosing. I purchased a Profilux stand alone dosing unit that has three pumps and can be fitted with a fourth pump. I have been a big fan of my Calcium Reactor, which was very easy to dial in. All I needed to do was add more time for CO2 injection, to keep up with any additions or growth. My problem started showing itself, when I started having low ph levels. Because of the effluent rate, and the time I ran my reactor, my ph never got above 8.0, and was as low as 7.85. I tried using my Kalk stirrer, but because of the low evaporation rate I have in the winter, I wasn't able to get the ph any higher.

I began dosing this past week. I took tests twice a day, and recorded them. I would remove my reactor off line, and test 24 hours later. I found my levels to be steady at 425 and 150 ppm, 24 hours later, they would drop to 395 and 140 ppm respectively. I tested three different times last week. With that drop, I was told to dose 360ml of Ca, and 50ml of alk. I started a thread on RC to see if it was normal to have to dose so much more Ca than Alk. After some back and forth, and further testing while dosing, I was told, as long as things are stable not to worry. I have determined that I need to dose 360ml and 120 ml respectively. I set my doser to dose 18ml 20 times a day for Ca and 6 ml of alk 20 times a day. My ph has ranged from 8.25-8.18, which is what I really wanted to see. Hopefully I can keep these levels solid for the next 6 months and have something really positive to report.

BTW,I used to run a Schuran Jetstream1 Calcium Reactor, using a Cole Parmer Peristaltic pump, and used a Milwaukee Ph controller, hooked up to an aquariumplants.com "Best" electronic regulator. My Geo Kalk reactor was hooked up to my Tunze Osmolator.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

That is awesome BT. Glad it is working for you. My pH has been between 8.1 and 8.5 for every single reading at various times of the day since July when I started using an auto doser. Good luck.

Also, I dose a little bit more Ca than Alk too. I do not worry about it. I end up mixing my Ca and Alk jugs at different times... no problem.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

BT what tank is this on.... the 40g??? Seriously, reconsider what you are doing. The levels you are dosing are not normal at all. I went through something similar when I switched and chased tests around for months. I was dosing 150 ml on my 90g and calcified my pumps. Now it is all dialed in and I'm using about 50ml/day with solid coral growth.

The starting figures that BRS gives you for certain tanks are just ball park figures, but they are pretty accurate. I'm right in line with them. Best thing to do is if your levels are where you want them, start with the recommendations, wait a week and see where things level at. Make an adjustment and wait another week. If you are unsure, give BRS a call. I finally did after others told me I was fine.....

They told me to stop dosing for two weeks....start here and wait.... dialed me right in within 2 weeks. My levels have been rock solid for a few months.

Edit: Sorry, read 40g not 40".... you have 106g aprox.... so close to my system.... even at that 360ml/120ml is way off.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

could you throw up a tank shot BT? I'd like to see how much stony we're talking about on this CA useage.