2 part dosing vs. Reactors

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tatted4ever, Oct 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

which 2 part system do you use jason? i think it was reefsparky that uses the bulk reef supplys 2 part system. i was thinking of ordering it, any thoughts on their product or is there a better one out there?

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yes I use BRS as well. I've tried other CA sources but they lead to problems

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Hope you don't mind Jason, thought that needed repeating... lots of folks have made comment on this thread that a 2 part autodose requires constant recalibration as your coral grows and I just don't see that as true.

I know you've got a really big selection of SPS in your tank, so I imagine there's a lot of growth overall in your 370 gallon compared to even a fully stocked smaller tank.

How long would you say it's been since you've adjusted the 2 part auto dose system?

I'm thinking of you as proof that it's not a given that 2 part systems need constant recalibration from stony growth.

I'd also be curious, from your POV, do you really think the long term costs are that different? How long do the 2 part buckets last you? I know they make many many gallons. From what I've read the media for the reactor only lasts about 6 months or so.

Someone made the comment they thought the one gallon jugs would only last about a couple of weeks... I find that hard to swallow. I'm not heavy stocked in SPS or anything (mostly LPS), and one gallon jugs last me several months before I have to mix new. I predict the bucket of material will last me 3-5 years in my scenario.

For me, it seems the long term costs are cheaper with the 2 part. But I haven't done a very valid price comparison on reactor media over time.

It seems to me (though not sure) that the 2 part would actually be cheaper over the long term. The 2 part stuff just wasn't very expensive and lasts a very very long time.

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

My BRS 2 part dosing order should be here Thursday. Seems a lot of 3reefers use them, so I though I would give them a try.

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I dose 2-part. Most people I know dose 2-part. I have spoken with several people who ran a CA reactor and had issues either with controlling it, setup, or just general headaches. I would think it would be easier to run a CA reactor, but after talking to those with issues I have found it easier and more inexpensive just to dose 2 part. I'll be getting dosing pumps and automate them with my Apex so it will be easier than a CA reactor and I won't have to worry and levels still stay the same.

7. Jason McKenzie

I lost a ton of SPS during the Summer Crash so I'm just sort of rebuilding. My tank isn't going to be a 100% SPS. I'm going with LPS/SPS tank. That being said "constant recalibration" is no where near what it was with a CA reactor. I think I've been running the Doser fro about 7 Months and after the initial adjustments I've maybe touched it twice.
    The best part, I find with the Doser is when you run out of CA or Alk you just mix more and away you go. No trying to get the drip rate back or the effluent exactly where you had it.
    I run my CA and ALk in 5 gallon water jugs made for Camping. so I'm mixing about once a month. But I imaging as the demand for CA and ALK increases I will have to adjust the dose and increase the frequency of mixing

BRS does a great job with shipping costs to Canada but still I pay a premium to use BRS. So in Canada 2 Part is more money

8. Click Here!

9. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

ya i agree with the s/h. i saw the s/h charges on the checkout. they ship via up., they pay the brokerage fees (huge bonus) and they charge +15% for taxes. thats fine by me, as long as when i answer the door i dont have to reach for my wallet to recieve my item. what premium are you refering to? would for someone with a smaller system be better off buying 2 part additives at the lfs? i asked reefsparky if he knew (he didnt) of the strength between BRS and a 2 part system available at a typical LFS, as in ca levels given a certain volume. i am not going to be using large amounts for dosing so i am still on the fence on which way to go.

10. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Jason thanks for chiming in..... Great info!!!!

I was thinkin of this.... could it be done to the same way a reactor is controlled using ur ph probe....
    Basicly what Im asking is can you have it where your controller initiates your auto doser the same way it would initiate a reactor?

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Great thread. Makes me rethink everything.

12. Jason McKenzie

The premium is just the higher S&H charges. In the long run going with BRS will save you a ton of money over the LFS products. Just because your paying so much for the packaging and the "special formulation"

J