2 part dosing vs. Reactors

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tatted4ever, Oct 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

The anology of cars to reactors, mine musy be Dihatzuseeshzee, or some off brand-why does a person need a brand name for holding argonite and counting bubbles, its all in the mix and the rate the effluent comes out isn't it? Not trying to over simplfy it, but I think its that simple.
    I guess I can make it that simple, my main suggestion is to make sure it has a GOOD pump, mine also is an Eheim, other than that, I could promise I could build one just as good, may not look as pretty as I get messy with acrylic glue-LOL.
    What took me forever in getting mine "dialed" was no intructions-bought it used and I tried to incorporate the Pinpoint controller-feel free to research how well that unit is to get dialed-easy after one tech support call-which the guy said he gets tons of-go figure that.

Once I ditched trying to use the controller, I got the effluent correct within 48 hours, and then it was a matter of about a week to determine what my bio load consumes and the amount of time to run my reactor.

There area few things for reefing I would never buy new, calc reactor, and skimmers for certain, but everything equipment wise I have bought is maintened extremely well and I dont buy someone's junk. Once you buy new and plug it in, its used so there you go. I sell on Ebay and that is always were I go first-sorry sponsors but.....when I get the same thing and save 40-70%, thats extra frags for me

I just spent 3 minutes surfing different sites and found at least reactors worthy of my money for 200-400 dollars-minus Co2 bottle-

All regulators are not created equal-mines Aquatec-el cheapo

My 3 cents worth

2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I have never dosed 2 part and have recently setup a reactor I found it very easy to adjust a few valves here and their, it's not much harder then that .
    count a few bubbles adjust the effluent 2 drops or so a sec and TADA!!!! 6hrs later check the effleunt is around 45-50 odd Dkh
    So im a happy reactor user, oh and bye the way I was using a PH controller to start but took it off line and just use a timmer on the system.
    Also to adjust the system looks to be very easy (after time/growth) I just open a valve to recirculate co2 to achive further break down of the media.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Just to take this at face value (and assuming it's correct)... that argument too, IMO, works against the reactor and for dosing...

B4 I decided to do dosing my main thought line was - reactors are for big systems and dosing is for small systems. I have a 55 gallon total water volume (probably guessing high)... I figured, I'll get a reactor when I upgrade to a 180 - 250 gallon tank after the move. (and after my dosing material runs out).

But now... well, I'll only take the time to switch if I find autodosing becoming a PITA.

5. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

I've got a Geo 618 and for me and my tank it was a great investment. But I wouldn't recommend them for most people. There is a huge trend towards the bailing method and the tanks look awesome, so you certainly don't need a CA reactor for success. I personally like them because they do stabilize things a bunch over manual dosing. If you buy dosing pumps, then you lose that advantage.

I'm really big on automation and lowering maintenance so for me the CA reactor is a plus. Again, with the dosing pumps, you lose some of that advantage, but they still have the edge cause they run for 6-9 months without needing much.

I can't say that my testing has changed at all cause I have a reactor. When I was dialing it in, I was testing constantly cause mine wasn't plug and play. Mine actually caused a major issue with alk swings and many of my acros bleached cause I didn't have it dialed in correctly. Took a while, and I'm probably testing a bit more than I used to before I had it cause I'm still a little paranoid.

CA reactors definitely help but are very expensive and simply aren't needed on anything but a heavy sps tank IMO. You can buy an awful lot of two part with the money you'd spend on a CA reactor.

If you do go with one, don't skimp on components or you are flirting with disaster. Get a good ph controller and a great regulator. I bought the premier line from Home - SuMo CO2 Regulators for Planted and Reef Aquariums. It's almost a work of art it's so nice and I am extremely happy I spent the extra money.

Good luck with your decision.

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

so your not using any type of controller on your reactor???? Not sure If im reading this right.

Just like dosing two part... except your getting other elements with reactor.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  7. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

:eek: thats a pricey piece.... looks purrrrrrrty though

8. Click Here!

9. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

Not an controller, I dialed in the reactor so the effluent was coming out at about 40KH. Then I figured out how long to add the Co2 to maintain the levels I want. For my tank since its mostly small frags of SPS and a clam, I am only adding Co2 for about 4 hours, the other 20 hours the solenoid is closed and the water just flows through the reactor.

My Pinpoint controller American Marine Pinpoint pH Controller
    is designed to add the Co2 when the PH gets at a certain level and then shuts off the Co2 when it reaches a lower level. You set both the high and low. It seemed the solenoid was turning off and on so frequently which was keeping my PH down I got nervous and decided not to use it. In hind sight perhaps after 24 hours and the Co2 released I might have seen stable PH's readings. I am certian it was user error or just not being patient with it, but being new and not being able to find anyone using that controller I went the route I have now.

I opened a thread on a different forum looking for someone using that controller and did not get any replies. Form the reviews I read I either jumped the gun or did not have it set right, but i too called their tech support to get it going, it was the constant on off that made me second guess something was not right. I'll open another thread on this site perhaps and see if I can have any luck.

Sorry to get off topic

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yeah, I see your point, but dosing is still much more work than a reactor.

Many ways to dot he same thing in this hobby, that is for sure.

For me, I trust technology and keep it simple with technology.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I can see the benefits of dissolving coral skeletons. I can see it isn't a PITA for many and that it is cost effective.

What I can't see is how it is so incredibly laborious and complicated to dose 2 part. I shake a a couple of jugs every 3-4 months. Test every couple of weeks which I would do with a reactor as well. Change a timing statement on my AC Jr. every now and then. I fail to see where the intensive labor part is.

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Using a pH controller really simplified my reactor. Set it and forget it almost.
    I think where most people have trouble adjusting reactors is they get impatient and make too many adjustements in too short a timespan. I used Geo's directions even though my reactor is not a Geo and things were a snap.
    Get the tank parameters correct to begin with then make only one adjustment at a time in at least a 24 hr period so you can keep track of which changes had what effect. I talk to more people who are always messing with both the bubble count and and drip rate at the same time and they have no idea what is happening. Patience, and it pays off with a hands off, almost maintenance free system. No having to mix bulk chemicals or worry about dosages.