2 part dosing vs. Reactors

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tatted4ever, Oct 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Dosing pumps cost $90 each plus timers are about $15 each. So, to set up a dosing system plus enough Ca/Alk/Mag dosing for one year is $210, and another set of chemicals from BRS is another ~$50 for the 2nd year. So, at 2 years, you're at ~ $260.00

Marine Depot claims this is their best selling reactor: Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor with Eheim Pump
    So, that is the smallest best-selling reactor that is decent (not a cheapo coralife that is probably not worth the investment) which includes the CO2 tank, regulator, pump, reactor, and media. This one claims you don't need the controller, so for $611 plus a recommended Ph monitor ($92), you're good for one year, until you need more media, which will cost you another $42, plus a CO2 refill. So, at 2 years, you're at: ~ $742.00.

You've spent $482 to save about $30 per year in chemicals. If that's the case, it will take about 16 years to recoup your investment.

From my viewpoint, if you're looking at it as an investment strategy, you're probably better off putting the $482 into a CD and letting it mature for 15 years.

If you're looking at it from a time-saving point of view or just because you like gadgets, then maybe $482 is not a big deal to drop... most of us certainly spend loads more over the lifetime of the hobby as it is, so who's to say that one way is wrong and one way is right?

I personally think if the time spent arguing the point were spent on tank maintenance, it would be a null point. lol :laughcry:

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Tru Dat.

And I have no problem buying used and there are always reactors to buy.

To me, a controller is a must to anyone serious in keeping a reef for a variety of reasons. So to have an automated system for $160 for two new dosing pumps is a sweet deal. The three pump Liter Meter unit is quite pricey, plus, Mg does not need automated dosing. So when money is no object, then we can have it all, but for a couple of BRS dosing pumps it is a small upfront cost to automate dosing.

And yes, those pump tubes do need to be replaced. I thought you were talking about the general tubing. I have not replaced mine yet for a year, but yes, they do wear out. Minimal cost though. Actually, thanks for the reminder, I'll look at those this weekend.;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Well where is the fun in that?;D

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yo gabba gaba, how is it that the media is 42 dollars a year? What rating is that reactor for? usually whatever it is rated for will be a 6 month supply of media. My geo is good for 350 gallons and uses one 8 lb 20 dollar ARM container and that will last around 9 months or so at the rate it is going now. An 8 lb thing of ARM is 20 bucks, but I won't go through 2 jugs of ARM a year.

A milwaukee controller with probe is only a tad more than the monitor you mentioned. That's cheap insurance IMHO.

If you do the math that it cost me for my unit, you will see how good of a deal it was for me to get the reactor.

6. H&K

H&K Flamingo Tongue

7. gabbagabbawill

I didn't read the whole article, but Randy could have done a lot better on this chart!!!

Light vs medium vs Heavy Load seem like a BIG difference in yearly cost. I can see how the yearly cost of additives for a heavy load would greatly outweigh the cost of a reactor+media. I have no idea what would have to be in a 100 gallon tank to be considered a heavy load that could cost $700 in two part per year!!! I'm thinking that it's a lot more than most folks keep in their tanks.

So, let's say that a medium bioload is an average tank, and it did cost $180/ year... this would still take three years to catch up to the average reactor set up ($500+$20 in media/year). Let's assume other maintenance costs are equal in Two Part and Reactor set ups, including refilling CO2. Since they would be about the same, I won't add these costs in.

Two Part
    First year: $180
    + second year ($180): $360
    + third year ($180): $540

Reactor
    First Year: $520
    + second year ($20): $540
    + third year ($20): $560

Let's add to that the cost of dosing pumps and timers:

$90+15 x 2= $210

Two Part
    First year w/ dosing pumps: $390
    + second year ($180): $570

$180 seems like about three times what most people are reporting for two part dosing... so, let's consider BRS two part additives cost about $60/ year to start with and more as the tank matures:

Two Part
    First year w/ dosing pumps: $270
    + second year ($90): $360
    + third year ($120): $480
    + fourth year ($180): $660

This final scenario seems a bit more realistic to me, so it seems like two part dosing can cost more if run longer than four years, and a reactor will start to save you money. Still, four years is a long time to start seeing savings, and the lower start up costs of a dosing system is a lot more palatable.

Two part systems will cost more per year as your load goes up, and if your corals are growing, it will!

The one thing about a reactor set up though is that it ensures that you're in it to win it. Once you buy it, it's smooth sailing from there. Also, if you ever decided to get out of the hobby, the investment in the reactor could partially be recouped, if sold.

Let me also say that I am neither for nor against a reactor. I'm at that point where I could make a decision to go either way... for the longest time I have thought that I want a reactor because I figured it is the way to go in the long run... but the complexity of the set up and cost are definitely somewhat prohibitive.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but it's helping me get a good idea of long-term operating costs of my tank, and (sort-of) helping me with my decision to go with a reactor or dosing... I'm all about saving money.. and it's nice to think that if I were to be strapped for cash in a couple of years and I have the cash to put up front for a reactor now, that maintenance costs would be a LOT less in the future.

I'd like to see what the reactions are to my observations. Consider me the reason that a thread like this exists.... if you already have a reactor, then I would assume you don't need to be convinced one way or the other! ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

It's a great post gabba. So, if you saw a deal like I got for my reactor, would that sway your vote?

I would think so. Without doing the math because I have had a few drinks tonight, I think I can be ahead of buying a new autodosing setup (only 2 pumps and timers) in less than 2 years.

I am the VP of our local club, and I am in this hobby for the long haul, so it was too good of a deal to pass up.

1 person likes this.
  10. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Big points for the reactor side of the debate.

11. gabbagabbawill

I really wasn't intending to kill the thread... hahaha...

So, I'm looking for suggestions on a realistic reactor set up for a 120 gallon tank, with a good mixture of corals and a couple clams... what is a decent unit and set up that will be less maintenance, have more pH stability, and provide enough effluent for coral growth and NOT be too hard on the wallet... I'm looking for a workhorse, but not top of the line.

1 person likes this.
  12. gabbagabbawill

This is what I'm looking at so far: CRpackage PA-GEO612ED Premium Aquatics

Everything I would need for about $600.00. That's a lot. Can someone find me a better deal than this for a decent set up?