2 Months Help with Algea?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by philip_r5, Jan 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

Okay, Ive had this tank going for two months now. I have a sump hooked up to it and have all this rock in it. (take look at pic). Is this part of the cycle with all this algea or what? Also note Im not running a skimmer as of yet. Is it time to hook one up? Is that the reason this may still have this algea? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Hi,

That actually is not algae, but cyanobacteria. Can be a big hassle for new (or old) tanks. I would definitely get a skimmer to remove disolved organic compunds and then get some chemical nitrate and phosphate removers. Not much you can do except get your water "clean" and wait. If you google cyanobacteria you will find tons of info on it. The basics are all the same: get your water clear and it will leave on it's own.

1 person likes this.
  4. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

After reading about Cyanobacteria from our page and google, I have come to conclusion that my main prob is that I dont have a skimmer on it and I don't do enough water changes to get the DO out of the tank. Thanks Dyngoe. +1 Karma

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Water changes, skimmer addition, RODI water, and decreased feeding should remedy the situation...Increase the water flow as well! Hope this helps

6. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

All the above!!!

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Lights, lots of bright white light. Red hues are the spectrum used by cyanobacteria, so changing blulbs after 8 to 12 months will help.

The real problem is excess phosphates and nitrates. Eliminate these and your cyano will disapper.

Cyano is both algea and bacteria. It is a reefers friend in that when you physically remove it from your tank you are exporting the phosphates and nitrates.

Better lighting, increased water flow, increased water quality (skimmer), and eliminating phosphates and nitrates ( exporting and reduced feeding), should do the trick as suggested above.

8. Click Here!

9. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

One thing that I suggest is getting a spiral notebook and taking notes on what you do to your water and the effects that it has on your tank. Just a suggestion that way you can see what works best for you and can stick to it.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Definitely, also jot down when you purchase equipment, fish etc. AND bulbs so that you know when to replace them!