2 Fluval FX5 Canister for saltwater

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by KillaKawi450, Feb 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KillaKawi450

KillaKawi450 Astrea Snail

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to the hobby and have a lot to learn.

I currently have a 150 FOWLR tank with 150 lbs of rock (I think it is live) and a 3 inch sandbed. I am currently running a Fluval FX5 canister and a aquaclear 110 hang on the back filter.
    I only have a few damsels, two clowns, and a niger trigger. (I want to start getting more fish)

I have recently upgradded to a 180 reef ready with duel overflows. I am in the process of mounting it in my wall.

My old 150 is starting to leak. The middle is bowing a little (no center brace) and I can see some water in one of the corner seals. I really want to get everything switched over before it is to late.

I do not have the funds to go out and by a sump, protein skimmer, return pump, and RODI unit at the moment, so I was kicking around the idea of plugging my overflows and just buying a second Fluval FX5 for $250

Is this a bad idea?

Does anyone currently have a setup like this?

Do I have to have a protein skimmer for FOWLR?

Sorry for the newb questions.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

For FOWLR you can get by without a skimmer. A second filter would give you additional capacity but may not be needed for biological filtration with the rock you have. BTW it is live if it has been in the tank for more than a couple of weeks.

I would use the FX5 for chemical filtration and to polish the water.

4. reef84

reef84 Feather Duster

I used to run a canister on my 75 and if i didn't clean it out weekly i would have a rise in nitrates. I just removed it and now use a TLF reactor for mechanical filtration. I can add GFO or carbon depending on what is needed.

5. KillaKawi450

Thanks for the replies.
    I was not sure as I see people talking about seeding rock with live rock lol.

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible to have a sump with a return pump, WITHOUT a skimmer or does not having a skimmer defeat the whole purpose of a sump.

If this is possible, I was also thinking about building a sump out of an aquarium and buying a decent pump to return the water (I would think I might be able to do this around the same price as buying a second Fluval)
    Then I can save for a nice skimmer to add to the sump.

6. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would set up a sump. Even if you just get a 20 gallon tank from petco and a cheap return pump, its a start. You can wait and add the skimmer later. It would be MUCH easier to do the plumping for your overflows before you fill it with water. Also, overflows are meant to have water on both sides of them, avoiding high pressure on the overflows themselves. They are not really designed to hold all the pressure of a 180 gallon tank. If you keep the overflows filled to avoid the pressure issue, but dont drain them into a sump, you are going to have 2 areas over very stagnant nasty water in the overflows. I would do it right and add a sump. It doesn't have to be fancy, and you could find a used return pump and even a used small aquarium for pretty cheap.

7. KillaKawi450

Thanks for the advice!
    I think I will go ahead and start on building my sump with a 40 - 55 gallon aquarium and add my protein skimmer later. I will run that with my FX5 for now.

I never thought about the pressure on the overflows or stagnant water.
    Thanks again!